Solved

Remove duplicate entries from a list lookup for cascading dropdowns

• 21 May 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Hello All,

I have a 1 custom list with 2 columns: Equipment Type Affected & Equipment Section that I will be using for Cascading drop downs on my classic form.

7847i8C0321D3488585BC.png

Then on my form they are List Lookups Columns to the list above (drop downs).

On my form the Equipment Type Affected - List Lookup - No changes needed but it displays all the duplicate items.

7848i2F9677255A61842C.png

On my form the Equipment Section - based on Equipment Type Affected works as planned as I am filtering by the Equipment Type Affected.

7849i16FEEA28629ECA78.png

Has anyone found a way to remove the duplicates from the list look up in the first drop down?

I have used this approach in the past with calculated fields and it worked fine but not with cascading drop downs.

lookup("Change Request/Issue DD","ID",EquipmentTypeAffected,"Equipment Section") 

Any help would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 25 May 2020, 05:51

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Use two lists.
The first will have the equipment type affected column with only one entry of each type of equipment.
On the second list the equipment type affected column will be a lookup to the first list.

The first lookup control on the form will lookup the first list and the second lookup control will look at the scond list but filter off of the first.
This is how cascading lookups should be setup.
Tutorial is old but still applies.
https://community.nintex.com/t5/Nintex-for-SharePoint/Cascading-drop-downs-and-Nintex-Forms-for-SharePoint/td-p/86140
Badge +4
Yes thanks I am aware of that but I only want one list and I did have it working that way in the past but that form was removed so I can’t remember how it was done.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
The only other way I have seen this functionality acheived is by using Javascript on the classic form. You may find a post here on the community about it.
Badge +4
Yes thanks, trying to do OOB, no scripting and one list.
Badge +4

This works for me using single drop-down lookup control.

just add lookupinput to CSS class of lookup control.

NWF$(".lookupinput").on('mousedown', function() {
var usednames = {};
NWF$(".lookupinput option").each(function() {
if (usednames[this.text]) {
NWF$(this).remove();
} else {
usednames[this.text] = this.value;
}
});
});

Badge +4

@brettando thanks but I try to stay away from coding and do OOB as much as possible so I just went with the lists.  But I am going to add this to my info just in case for the future.