How to copy an Office document into the same library

• 15 December 2017
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

A customer would like the users to be able to copy an Excel document (of a custom Content Type) into the same library (and inside same document set), but without the metadata from the source document and a different name. the "Copy to SharePoint" action allows this, but despite unchecking the "Copy item meta data", the metadata is still copied into the destination plain.png; yes there are a couple of required fields. On document creation a workflow is automatically started.

If I understand correctly, the metadata in the copy is filled from the data stored in the Excel file as well, and populate the fields when copied. This happens also when downloading the Excel file to the local hard disk, renamed and then uploading it again: metadata is populated again.

Does anyone has a simple or smart solution for this?

NB: I'm looking into using a temporary library solution....

4 replies

Badge +8

Is the "Copy to SharePoint" action only available on O365? I only see "Copy Item."

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

My case is for SharePoint 2013 on-prem and Nintex Workflow 2013.

Badge +4

I also just came across this.  What I believe I figured out was the "Copy item meta data" action relates to the meta data in the list or library (i'm using it to copy attachment on a list item) not within the document itself.  

Badge +5

jpmhuls, another consideration you didn't mention is that documents added to document sets will carry the metadata of the document set. If your document set has metadata, the copied document can be getting it from there and not just internally. In fact if you copy it to a separate library, strip out the metadata, rename it, and copy it into the document set - it will still get whatever metadata that is assigned to the set. That's the way document sets work (most of the time).

Gerard