What is a Practical Volume Limit for Query List?

• 23 March 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Can someone please advise on the practical limit of the number of items that a Query List action can process before timing out?  My understanding is that Query List does not take advantage of Indexed Columns.

Reference:
This is a product improvement request that was created in July 2014.
https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/229405-1-nintex-workflow-for-sharepoint/suggestions/6231594-query-list-action-doesn-t-scale-to-support-indexed

I will be creating a document library that will have several thousand documents added to it each month.  I will need to periodically (daily / weekly) check some fields with a workflow to determine action to be taken on the appropriate documents.  Any field I use in a Query List action will be indexed.  I have read that the Query List action will time out with large lists, and also that it could encounter the 5,000 item list view threshold.  If it has to look at each item in the list to determine if the criteria are appropriate to include it in the resulting collection, it seems that this would fail at 5,000 items.

Can anyone confirm how Query List selects items (sequential read or indexed read) and at what volume of items it becomes impractical to use?  Thanks!

2 replies

Badge +3

Since there was no response to this post, what I ended up doing was writing a PowerShell script to move the documents from the source library to the target library.  The script uses a CAML query to identify the candidate items, and the workflow history is preserved when the files are moved.  The script is then scheduled to run periodically.  The disadvantage is that I needed to introduce a server based component into the solution (the PS script), but it seems to do the job, and I believe this is reliable.

I will mark this post as Answered because I have a work around, but there really isn't an answer to the original question of the practical volume limit for Query List.

Badge +5

Unfortunately, for those of us that can't use powershell or don't know powershell, this doesn't help too much.  I'd still like to know what the limits are on query list.