Error Terminating Workflow: Object Reference not set

• 1 November 2014
  • 5 replies
  • 1 view

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I have a handful of workflows I'm unable to terminate.  When I attempt to terminate them, I get the following error: "Server was unable to process request. ---> Object reference not set to an instance of an object."  Anyone know how to resolve this?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I know you've checked several areas already, but to get a grasp of the scenario, is this using the Terminate Workflow action in a workflow, or Terminate from the workflow history/status page? Are these workflows in an error state? Arethe workflows that can't be terminated, previous versions?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So this is different from your last trouble with items being deleted from How do you terminate a workflow for an item that no longer exists? . Are the items deleted in this case?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Thanks for the reply Andrew.  Yes, this is different than my other post.  I'm attempting to terminate these workflows manually from the workflow history page.  These workflows are still in progress.  Originally the items were not deleted, but I was still receiving the error.  I did try the stuggestion that was on the other post of editing the url to only have the instance ID of the workflow, but that didn't work.  I did then delete the items and try to use the suggestion from my other post, but still getting the same error. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I've always had at least one way to terminate a workflow, even if it came down to PowerShell or an NWAdmin script. Do you have access to those on the server? It's hard to say what the Object reference issue relates to. Any possible access to ULS logs?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I don’t have access to those tools, but we have an admin team that does. I’ll try and get with them and see if they can terminate them. Thanks.