Conditional startup on new items not available in library?

Badge +7

Hello everybody,

I have a workflow on a library that I want to start conditionally depending on when a new item is created of a specific content type. However, I don't seem to have the option for a conditional start on new items available! I can select only Yes or No.

Conditional start on new items

How can I resolve this?

Kind regards,

Yvette

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi ‌,

Unfortunately it's that way, at least for SP on-premise; O365 seems to allow for a conditional on-create workflow. Uploading a document is done while you enter the metadata in the New web form, so there is "no" actual metadata to use in the conditional start. So first give the following a try: in stead of using the on-create go ahead and create the workflow to run conditionally when modified.

If that does not work as you envisioned, would either of the following be an acceptable workaround?

1. Start the on-create workflow with a Run-If where you check "Content Type". If it is not the content type you want, End the Workflow. Otherwise let it continue.
  2. Use the on-create workflow to set a hidden field and end the workflow. This then should start an on-modified workflow where you can set a start condition.
  3. Create a reusable workflow for the Document content type...
  4. Upgrade/move to O365.....
Badge +7

Thank you, Jean-Pierre!

I needed the workflow to only start on newly created document sets of the type Dossier. Team members are registered (metadata) by the team leader upon creating the new dossier and the workflow takes care of workspace and unique doc set permissions along with a notification to the team.

I now simply added a form to the workspace homepage that can be used for creating the document set and had the workflow run on the list.