How to start a WF on List with Read Only rights?

• 7 February 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +5

I have a List of users (let's call it "Employees"). These users are given a Read Only access to the list but I would like them to still be able to start a WF "Register to an Event".

I've set the WF to start manually off the Item Menu.

The WF has 2 actions:

1. Pause for 1 minute
  2. Create item in another list

I've set the start form to custom and removed the path, which means I have to use the Pause action to get it to work. (To get around the Allow Anonymous Update)

I've looked at Vadim's post about Impersonation and I'm using it for Creating an Item in another list ("Attendance") where they also have Read Only access.

All of this works IF the user has contribute rights in the starting list (Employees) and read only in the destination list (Attendance).

However when I set the (Employee) list access to Read Only I get an error "Sorry, you don't have access to this page.".

Looking at the ULS I see that the request is going to

.../_layouts/15/inplview.aspx?Cmd=Ctx&List=%7B52AA20B9-D2AC-4F55-A2CC-55CB15B30F57%7D&View=%7BA6CE724E-303A-4EBC-901E-03FC6B2A2DD6%7D&ViewCount=14&IsXslView=TRUE&Field=LinkTitle&IsCSR=TRUE&CustomAction=TRUE&ID=2&ListViewPageUrl=http...

If I remove the Pause, I do not get the "Sorry, you don't have access to this page" any more but then the Allow Anonymous Update gets in the way and won't execute the update on the destination list.

So, do I have to give contribute rights to the users on the starting list, or is there a way to accomplish this?

Thank you & Regards,

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I believe this is true for a list item that the user needs edit permissions because the user is now the initiator of the workflow and has an affect on the context of the item.

But if you created a site workflow with a start form to Register for Event, then added the start form on a page in the site using the nintex form webpart. Then the user can have read access to both lists if you create the list items using impersonation.

Badge +5

Thanks Andrew and Jordy.

I think what I'll do is create a hyperlink (or button) column that will call a site WF (which will utilize impersonation) via URL with the item ID.

That will give the users the "One click solution" they're looking for.

http://OURDOMAIN/OURAPPLICATION/_layouts/15/NintexForms/InitiateWorkflow.aspx?List=LISTGUID&ID=33&TemplateID=TEMPLATEID&…