How to pass original "created by" name when moving documents from one library to another?

• 9 April 2010
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge +1

I've been researching for the past couple of days and the closest I get to my answer is this post here: http://www.k2underground.com/blogs/rambleon/archive/2010/02/19/changing-the-created-by-user-in-sharepoint.aspx. The author himself is not sure this is the best approach to this issue so I am cautious.

I've written a simple process to move a document from one site collection to another.  It's working wonderfully and was able to transfer all the metadata except the most important ones to us:  'Created By' and 'Modifed By'.  Once the BlackPoint process gets kicked off, these names changed to 'System Account'.  Is there a way for me to transfer the original Created By and Modified By names in the workflow? 

Thank you very much in advance!

1 reply

Badge +3

If this is an InfoPath workflow, here's what I do:

1. Create a NEW column for CREATED BY, with a new name... e.g. "REQUESTOR". This column should be a PERSON/GROUP column type and with a Name(presence) show field. Then I will not show the CREATED BY column in the form library

2. Inside InfoPath, I will create a hidden text box that will capture the user credentials by using the UserName() function

3. In the uploading event at the K2 Studio, I will assign the value of the hidden textbox to the Document's Metadata with the following format:

<domain name><Infopathformname_XML field>

As for the <Infopathformname_XML field>, just drag the XML data form the source and manually type in the <domain name> part. This concatenates automatically.

Hope this helps.