How do I send notification on Calendar Approval or Reject

• 31 August 2016
  • 3 replies

Badge +9

Hi,

Currently I have a workflow set up to send out a notification to an approver when a calendar item is created and in a pending status for Approve/Reject.  I have now been asked to send out a notification once the status moves to approved or rejected.  I have 2 issues:

1st Issue - The created field has i:0#.wentmylogonid - Thus not sure how to strip out all the garbage to the left of the logonid so I can get a legitimate id for the email to line. and thus send an email to the requester that they were approved or rejected.

2nd Issue - I only want to trigger the notification if the status changes...if someone changes the location or time as an example post approval will the status change from approved to pending ?  If the answer is yes than this issue is not an issue.  If the answer is no the status remains in an approved status once approved regardless of future field changes then I would just want to trigger an email notification to notify that a field value has changed....  However, I am unsure how I can distinguish between a status change only vs. a field change only.

My hope is that the status will always change to Pending if a column is changed and that will make life easier, although I would then anticipate being asked what the old value was vs. the new value.

Any suggestions, next steps ?

3 replies

Badge +8

Hi David Busch​,

1st issue

The easiest way to do this is, is by the 'Regular expression' action. Just replace the (rather useful) 'garbage' with, well, nothing happy.png

190479_pastedImage_0.png

2nd issue

I am afraid I do not understand your input to give you feedback on it. Perhaps if you could give me some more info...

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +9

Hi Rick...thx for the answer to issue1.  For issue 2, there seems to be 2 paths for calendar entries regarding approvals.  It is either pending, approved, or rejected.  If it is pending I need to send to a specific approver.  If it is rejected or approved I need to send to the requestor.  What is the most efficient way to send notifications based on these 2 paths via Nintex.

Badge +8

Hi David,

The way I understand your situation (but perhaps I have a too simplified view on it): A requestor sents an approval request to an approver. The request will always be pending when it is created and the approver decides if it is approved or rejected.

This situation can be handled very well with the 'Assign Flexi task' action.

In this action you can configure the e-mail sent to the approver. The workflow also temporary stops at that action until a decision is made. Depending on the decising, an approve or reject path is followed. In both paths, an e-mail is added which sents an e-mail to the requestor (so this are 2 different e-mails).

I provided a visual below.

190534_pastedImage_2.png

Greetings,

Rick

Please mark this reply as a correct answer if it answers your question because this helps the community.