Show previous assignee on Task view

• 9 February 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Wondering if anyone has solved this problem and would share some ideas on this.

We have task delegation, both short term and long term. If a task is delegated the only place to ask was delegated from is to look in the workflow history. Getting to that information requires a good amount of clicking and so isn't very User Friendly. At least that what our users are saying. And I kind of agree. The ability to see who assigned a task to me is useful when questions come up or if I want to re-delegate it to that person.

I was thinking a calculated column that would bring up the workflow history list when clicked but that's a lot of info to bring up and the parameters for creating the content of that column would likely be a server side effort since not all of that query string is available when viewing the task.

Ideas?

8 replies

Badge +6

Hey ‌,

before you enter the task action, you could write the person to which the task will be assigned into a variable and then write the variable into the delegation comments. What do you think about this approach, am I missing something?

Best regards,

Jan

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you can activate versioning on workflow task list and then examine changes on AssignedTo column

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

We want to capture the person who the task WAS assigned to prior to delegation. I'm not the Nintex developer so that explains, hopefully, my lack of knowledge on this.

This information we are after is available on the _layouts/15/NintexWorkflow/WorkflowLog.aspx page under 'Task History'. But our clients want this info on the task and item pages. We had been using a custom field on the item that was updating this information when our workflows ran but we discovered that this was not getting updated when a task was automatically escalated after a defined period of time elapsed. This custom field was being used for another purpose related to reporting so it was resolved to show the current assignee in all cases. That's when the client contacted us and said he wanted to see the previous assignee.

So the user who is doing the delegation, is already being captured in the

DelegationHistory table under the username column. I can get that information using workflow.asmx and calling the GetWorkflowHistoryForListItem method so that is a start. Since a task can be delegated to a user in a number of ways this may be the better way to handle this. I'm thinking there could be a computed column on the list that calls a page and which in turn calls this webservice in code and sends the xml results to popup window. Can workflow.asmx methods be called via querystring or c# code? Am I overthinking this?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Thanks Marian. Versioning would add too much overhead for our particular setup but that would work. I am working on a solution now that uses JavaScript to pull the info and append it to the task page. I'll put it in a blog post after it goes live.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Please post the blog as soon as you are able here, and then I will mark it correct & you'll get those sweet, sweet community points wink.png 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I've got it working. I just need to clean up the code a bit and then I'll put it up here for folks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Awesome! Thank you,

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

You can find the blog post with solution source code here.