Changing the filter removes my selections

Badge +4

I have a list lookup looking into a document library where I need to select multiple documents.  In that library is a metadata column I am filtering the list look up by.  The filter works and only shows documents with the selection as expected.

However, if I select documents where the filtered column is "A" they are removed from the added side when I change the filter to "B."  The filter works to good and is filtering unselected documents as well as selected documents.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the expected functionality?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If possible, can you provide a screen shot of this behavior? Myself and others may be having trouble understanding the selection process and what is involved in this scenario. Thanks!

Badge +4

No category selected in the filter and I added items.

NoFilter.png

Select a filter and it removes the things I added, except the one that matches the filter.

Filter.png

It is a requirement to select items with different equipment categories.  Shouldn't it only filter the items on the left, not what I already added? 

Thanks for the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I see now, thanks for sharing. The filter will affect the selection control in its entirety. You haven't necessarily "added" anything until it is saved. But the filter will apply to both sides.

The only alternative I can think of is that the drop down to select the category does not filter the selector, but show/hides panels based on the selection. So if you have 5 categories, then you will have 5 selectors pre-filtered to their category. Then you can select as many as you want in one section on the form. Then have a workflow combine them together in another list/lookup or what is required. The limitation to doing this is the limited number of lookups you can have on the list. So if that is a problem you can use these as unconnected controls and use the form data to put the selection together in a workflow.

There may be other ways, maybe someone else has another suggestion.

Badge +4

There's potentially 20+ categories so that will be difficult, and it may be added to over time :/   I'm looking towards a repeating section and adding a new row for each category, allowing multiple checkboxes on the filter, or creating filtered views and showing/hiding panels based on the view they select.

They were hoping for multiple levels of filters so I'm guessing the lookup into a view with a filter on it will be the best option.

Thanks for the help!