I am brand new to Nintex and I am coming at it from the perspective of a user. I don't have any access to the SharePoint server or to any of the configuration settings for Nintex. I'm hoping I can resolve this problem without resorting to contacting higher level tech support inside our company.
I am setting up a Leave Calendar on a SharePoint site and am configuring it to send approval requests to the initiators manager. The tutorial I found on YouTube (Building a Leave Request Solution from A to Z - YouTube) uses Active Directory to find the initiator's manager. However, our company does not have manager information saved in AD. So, as an alternative, I was going to put the information into an Excel spreadsheet and use the Nintex "Query Excel Services" action to get to that data.
When I go into the Query Excel Services action and click the "Run Now" button at the top, I get a chance to test the action. I click the "Test Connection" button and the results show "OK". However, when I click the "Execute" arrow at the top left, I get an error message that says:
The execution returned an unexpected error.
The request failed with the error message:
Object moved to here.
The word "here" is a link to "/_layouts/SMT_SiteManagementTool/UsePermissionConfirm.aspx?acc=" and then the URL of the SharePoint site's ExcelService.asmx file. That's the same URL as in the "URL" parameter that worked when I clicked "Test Connection".
I'm trying to figure out what might be causing this issue. Any ideas?
unfortunately I know almost nothing about the excel services. But couldn't you just store the information in a SharePoin-List? This would make accessing the information much easier as you don't need to use any webservice to gather the information you need. You could use the "Query list" action to receive exactly the information you want.
Thanks for the reply. I think I may have to resort to the "Query List" action. However, I would like to keep the manager hierarchy in one data source so that I can access it from various SharePoint sites. I think there is a limitation with Query List where you can only access a list from the same site unless you have the Office 365 add-in. We don't have that license that I know of. I figured by using an Excel file stored on a shared drive instead of a list on that one SharePoint site, I could make the data available to any SharePoint site that needed it.
We may eventually get access to a SQL Server to save the information so that my resolve the problem eventually too.
I think you don't have a problem with the "query list" action as long as the list resides on the same SiteCollection. If you want to jump to a list on another SiteCollection, things get difficult.