Site workflow to query list for items within time range not working anymore

• 14 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +7

I have a site workflow that runs on the first of every month. It calculates the end of this month and saves it to a date variable. Then it queries the list to see if there are any items that fall within the date range of the current date and the end of the month.

Seems simple enough. This set-up used to work perfectly but now returns zero results.

Configuration:

The column "Start datum" is a date column - no time included. My query is as follows: Select items if "Start datum" is bigger than or equal to current date AND select items when "Start date" is smaller than or equal to "End of the month" variable.

There are in fact items in the list with start dates for January.

I did some further testing. If I query an Id directly, I get the following "Start datum" output:

If I then query the list for items equal to 1-1-2019 or 1-1-2019 00:00:00 exactly I get the same outcome: no results found. This leads me to believe it doesn't have anything to do with a change in time formats (possibly the result of an update?) or something.

Your help would be much appreciated!

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Have you tried to test the query with manually entered dates?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

This is not an answer or a suggestion, but just information in the event that it turns out to lead people to investigate. 

On the 8th of January 2019 (so, only a few days ago from this post date), a CAML Query that had been diligently working up until that point, started to fail to return results. 

In my case I was checking the value of a Numeric Column but had accidentally used the 'type' of "Text"

IE: <Value Type="Text">{WorkflowVariable:SomeVariable}</Value>

Though in this instance I understand that it was my mistake for not initially setting the Type as 'Number', it still doesn't account for the fact that it had been working just fine up until this point, so I do think that there has been some type of change that affects querying SP. 

Additionally there is a thread here where a user is having a similar problem: 

If anyone else has noticed strange problems with Queries not working the way they did, maybe we can sort out what in the heck changed! 

Badge +7

@jpmhuls thanks for the tip, I tested this and it worked fine. So now I knew I had to be able to make this work. :)

We ended up creating a date variable "Start date" that has current date selected. Then a variable "End date" that takes it's input from a calculation Start date +1 month. This proved to be the right combination. It seems referencing the common "current date" directly couldn't be resolved properly.