Limit the fields displayed on a workflow task page

Badge +7

Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a strange request. When using a Flexi Task action the action sends an email to the end user to approve or reject the item. When the end user clicks on the link in the email to review the task, below the approval area in the Item Properties section the fields from the SharePoint list are listed, as seen below:

Is there any way to limit the number of fields being displayed or remove the fields being displayed all together?

Or even better is there a way to display only certain fields of my choice in the Item Properties area?

If someone could help me out on this one I would appreciate it.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

If you are using a Nintex Form on your task, then you can simply select the fields you do not want and delete them.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Sean,

as Mike said if you're using Nintex Forms you can just remove the fields you don't want to show.

If you don't use Forms there is still an easy way. In central administration -> Nintex Workflow Management -> Global Settings you can define "task form properties view" . By default its set to Workflow Task View.

So just create a view called Workflow Task View (or whatever the property is set to in your environment) and default SharePoint Forms will just show the fields you defined in that view.

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +16

Found this out yesterday and still in awe!  happy.png

Badge +7

Hello Mike,

Unfortunately I am not using Nintex Forms 

Badge +7

Hello ‌,

Thank you for your reply and the information about this issue.

Can you create a certain workflow task view for only one list and have that view only display for that list or is the Workflow Task View a "global item" where it shows up for all workflow tasks?

Thank you  

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Yes, the workflow task view will only be valid for that specific list as you will probably have different columns in other lists.

So you will need one Workflow Task View per List you have workflow tasks in.

Badge +7

Hello Enrico Knapp‌,

Thank you for the quick reply. In following the path that you gave me in your original post Central Administration -> Nintex Workflow Management -> Global Settings I have found the Task Form Properties view, as seen below:

But I am not sure where I would go to create a new Workflow Task View. If you could expand on your reply ‌ as to how to create a new Workflow Task View for a specific list and how you would apply that new Workflow Task View to the list in questions I would really appreciate it.

Thank you or all of your assistance Enrico.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Sorry for the late reply.

To create a workflow task view just go to the list on which your workflow is running. There you open the list ribbon and hit "create view"

198751_pastedImage_1.png

you will have to name the view "Workflow Task View". Afterwards all you need to do is check all the columns you want to show in your actions properties.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +7

Thank you for expanding on your answer Enrico. I will give it a try and see what results I end up with.

Badge +7

Hello ‌,

Thank you for your amazing information on this issue I was having. Your tip worked perfectly and it only displayed the information that I needed.

Much appreciated

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Happy to help you happy.png

Badge +7

Hello ‌,

The solution you have given is working fantastic. This has lead to another question about this solution.

Is there a way to display certain fields in the view based on another field? I do realize that since this is a view created against a list this might not be possible, but I thought I would ask.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Weil,

if you use nintex forms you can just edit the task form and add rules fields as you want. These rules can hide fields according to a value in another field.

if you don't use forms than you could still use JavaScript to hide fields but that's beyond my field of knowledge.

kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +7

Thank you for your reply ‌. This is what I figured might be the answer to the question.