Autopopulating Nintex forms from SharePoint 2013 lists

Badge +6

Hi

I would like to thank everyone who replies to posts in this list.  I have found it extremely helpful as I struggle to find solutions for my clients requests.  The next question is quite difficult to explain.

I have a list of courses, sessions and registration details.  In the list of sessions, the client wishes to be able to click on the name of the course (which is linked to the list of courses) and display the Registration form.  I have done this by adding a link to the bottom of the form that appears.  However, we also want it to automatically publish the name of the course plus the date of the course which is contained in the sessions list.

Do you know whether this is possible and if it is, how?

Kind Regards

Renee

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Can I clarify? Is this a custom link that you've built into your list item (e.g. a calculated column that renders as a link, or similar) so when some clicks on the link on the relevant course, it opens a registration form up? And you are looking to populate that registration form with information about the course that exists in a list?

If so I believe a blog I wrote a while back can help, using the Get Query String function.

If you build your link to your registration form using a calculated column then append the URL with a query string that includes the ID of your course. Once you've got the ID of the course in the query string you can use a calculated column and the GetQueryString function to retrieve that URL. Then using the lookup function you can lookup the piece of information you're looking to retrieve from your courses list using that ID.

Let me know if this matches your requirements and if you need any more detail on how to achieve this.

Badge +6

Hi Ryan

Thank you - this is great information.  You have given me some ideas to try.

Will let you know how I go.

Thank you.

Badge +6

Hi

The item is in fact in a list not a form.

What I want to happen is that if they click on the Active Title (a calculated field) in the Sessions List, the Registration form (based on the Registrations list) will be displayed with the details of the session (Course Name + Date + time populating the Session field automatically:

For example:

I had the Title field displayed in the list and when they clicked on this, name of the course as in the first image, it would display the Course form onto which I have added a link, Book onto a Course which displays the Registrations list without the session being displayed.  They then have to click on the name of the session to display the requested session.  I would like it to bypass the course form and go straight to the Registration form bypassing the course form and have the session populated with the session item selected.

I have created calculated column which includes the course, the date and the time.  How do I create a link to display the Registration form and then to auto populate the session field?

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you for your time.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

- open registration form on your own and grab the url from browser's address bar

you shlould get something like <path to registration list>/NewForm.aspx

(if there is anything after NewForm.aspx, you can remove it)

- since it is not possible to customize link behind Title field you will need to create a new field in the list which will hold your ink to registration form.

you can follow this other Ryan Greenaway‌'s blog on how to create list field rendering as URL

- now you need to build your link. start with the link you grabbed in first step and you will need to extend it with you want to hand over to registration form.

what data they will be depends on how you designed registration form. you may need hand over all of the  course ID, course name, date, etc.

but very likely it might be sufficient to hand over just course ID. by course ID you should be able to lookup back to course list to fetch other data.

anyway, in general you need to build link like

<path to registration list>/NewForm.aspx?TokenName1=TokenValue1&TokenName2=TokenValue2...

- in registration form you will then get single token values with fn-GetQueryString() function as Ryan Greenaway‌ suggested above

eg. fn-GetQueryString("TokenName1")