Populate data into a SQL drop down control and still have that control show the data

• 17 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I have a form with several SQL Request controls on a form.  The first control collects a person's name (by dropdown) and unique ID (the name is shows in the display field and ID is in the value field).  This in turn allows me to populate the various other SQL request controls with other data (address, birthdate, etc.).  Now, I have a workflow process in this library that can create a new item (in the same list). However, when you open the form, the data does not appear in the control.  It gives an error on the screen and when you highlight over it, it says the contents of this control have been updated outside of the form.  I'm guessing the way that control works, it doesn't see the data until it is chosen by the user.  Thus it doesn't collect the unique ID and be able to populate the rest of the controls.  If someone has a workaround, I'd greatly appreciate it.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

As far as I know this is just the way the control works and I've never particularly understood why. It's rather useless honestly. For a single control one workaround could be to create a column connected Calculated Control with a formula that will allow it to update from the SQL Control only in specific instances. However a lot of work would need to be done to get anything cascading working with it, and I don't know what that would look like off the top of my head. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Yes, I kind of figured that out as I was playing around with the control and workflow.  I just didn't have a way to get this to work correctly.  It is kind of a shame honestly.