How to add an attachment to a list within to-do task

• 26 January 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +7

I have a workflow that assigns a task to an analyst to create a document.  I am using an "Assign to-do task"  for this.  Then, when the task is complete, I am using a flexi-task to send the document to the next person for approval.  This is all working fine.

However, before the analyst indicates the task is complete in the workflow, he has to go into the list to attach the document.  Then he goes into the workflow to mark the task as complete.

Is there a way for the analyst to upload the document at the same time he marks the task as complete (without having to go into SharePoint to attach the document)?

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Susie,

what Nintex- / SharePoint-Version do you use?

Instead of using "Assign to-do task" action you could try the "request data"-action.

It is meant to request some information of your user but it also allows to add attachments. If you do not need any information besides of the attachments just create the content type and leave fields blank.

If you need anything else just add the requested data as fields to the content type.

197915_pastedImage_1.png

Using this approach the user gets his task like in your scenario.

Additionally he can add attachments to the task.

Additionally he can provide further information you request via adding fields to the task content type.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +7

This worked perfect.  Thank you for the idea.   A few more questions on the "request data" action (I'm sorry for so many questions):

1. I have 2 fields in my list which I would like to collect data for. I muffled my way through and added 2 fields to the Action called "Developer" and "Validater".  Then, I used "Update Item" action to write the 2 values to my list. This is all working fine, but is their an easier way?
  2. Also, I am not exactly sure I understand what "Content type" is.  Although I got it to work, can you explain?
  3. The email shows Form Start and Form End.  Is there anyway to get rid of this in my email?  Below are my settings
    -- Form End --
    Developer [  ]
    Validater [  ]
    -- Form End --
    197976_pastedImage_1.png
  4. Even though "Allow attachments"  is unchecked, the form still allows attachments.  Is that normal?

Again, sorry for so many questions.  I am in "learning mode"

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Don't worry. The community is there to help you.

1. If you want to collect data into your list the way you described is the best one I think. Request data from your users and store this data into variables. Afterwards, update the list columns with your data from those variables.

2. Content Type is a SharePoint term that is usually used if you want to store items of different types (content types) in one single list. You can then define that content type 1 needs column A, B and C from your list but maybe content type 2 needs Columns A, C and D.

Nintex adopted this structure and lets you add a new content type to the default task list. While normal task list items only contain columns like due date, assigned to and so on, the new content type adds the columns you add in the action to the new content type created. You can check this in the settings of the workflow task list. There you see all the content types you created in your actions. Does this help you?

3. I'm not really sure what you mean with form start and end. Could you make a screenshot with the parts you want to get rid of? Do you mean the area that also contains the string "workflow notification"?

To modify these you can always go to site settings -> Message templates. There you can edit the template from all mails sent from this site. If you want to not only modify these but all messages workflows send you can either go up to site collection level to edit the templates of the site collection or even of the whole farm in Central Administration.

198070_pastedImage_2.png

4. I guess this is normal but you can just delete the attachment controls from your form. If you need them later you can easily re-add them from the toolbox.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Enrico

Badge +7

In Enrico's original post, he explained how to save an attachment with a "Request Data" action.  This has been working great to send the attachment in emails.

But now, I'd like to save the attachment as part of the item in the list.  How would I do that?

Badge +4

Did you ever figure out how to move the attachment from the Request Data task item, to the actual list item the task was based on?

Badge +7

No.  I found a solution (I think it was a custom function) that would involve a change to the actual Sharepoint system, which my company will not do.  I also remember seeing a solution to save the attachment in a document library, and from there it can somehow be linked to the item, but I did not try this. 

For us, we are saving the document to the item manually.  If the document is needed, we are asking the customer to edit the item, and click "add attachment".