Solved

Panels and Fields Covering Each Other

Hey all,

I've finally put in a lot of hours into making a complex form work where if you choose an option (out of five options), it will hide some fields and reveal others. Since there is a lot of overlap of fields for each options, I had to create panels within panels.

The way the form currently works, if I start with the default and then choose the right version of the form I want, it looks great (except for two fields and their corresponding labels) and shows what I want it to show and hide what I want it to hide. 

When I select a different version of the form three times in the same viewing, one after the other, fields start getting out of line and cover each other as shown below. 

24295i26D7728FA9984E88.png

If I go from the default choice to any other choice, the form looks good.

Another issue (as listed above) is that I can make it work, but any time I put a rule on the field and try to hide it from a view, it causes fields in a way similar to what's shown above to happen on a bigger scale. As long as I don't put any rule on the two fields and their corresponding labels, it looks fine until I change between more than two options of the form.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 14 July 2022, 00:36

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

When I design classic forms these are the steps I follow to avoid control overlap and white space.
1. Group controls that you want to hide into a panel.
2. Apply the hide rule to the panel only.
3. Do not overlap panels.
4. Apply 1 rule per panel and not 1 rule for multiple panels.
5. Order the rules in the same order as the panels from the top down.

As for your step 4, are you meaning that if you have five versions of a form that have shared fields, you'll group the fields so that there's only one rule for each panel (at the most five rules)?

Or are you meaning that you could have twenty panels for five versions of a form and you have only one rule that is specific to that panel and isn't used for any other panel?

Thanks for the help! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi.

This is what I mean:

That explanation really helped out. Thanks!

I also played with panels with no rules when they weren't needed for the fields and that also helped keep things clean.