IS there a way to start certain activity when an IPC process starts

Badge +11

Hi

Can we force an IPC workflow to start ata certain activity.

5 replies

Badge +8

Do you have any rules on which a particular activity shud be started ??

Badge +11

Pass in a parameter to the sub-process that indicates which activity you want to start.  You can have multiple lines from the start activity that route to the appropriate target activity based on the passed parameter.

Badge +5

There is nothing 'out of the box'.  However, as previously suggested, pass in the name of the activity and then either use line rules or a GoTo event to go to the desired activity.  There is an example here or you could use a Server Event (Code).

http://www.k2underground.com/groups/custom_event_wizard_example__goto_activity/default.aspx

Badge +11

Even though I wrote the wizard that Eric suggested, I use it very rarely.  Whenever possible I prefer to use line rules as they form a kind of visual documentation that helps understand the original business logic. 

Badge +5

I agree with David and rarely use GoTo events myself.  However, sometimes they are useful, particularly if you have a large workflow.  A workflow map with potentially hundreds of lines is worse IMHO than some GoTo events if the rest of the map is documented properly.  If you only have a few paths the IPC workflow can take out of the Start activity, then use line rules.