Notification for doc gen consumption

• 26 June 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge +9

Nintex 2016 on Prem.

How can I setup a way to monitor our Doc Gen consumption? It is very inconvienient to have to go to a workflow, drag a doc gen action, open to reconfigure and then at this point we'll know how much we have consumed.. 

We basically need a central location that updates our consumption everytime a workflow runs and uses it up. Also we'd like to receive notifications  to be sent to the IT team to be notifiied when the consumption of Doc gen is about to be used up? 

Let's say I have 1000 doc gen that comes with my license. I want to be notified when we reach 500 and another warning when we reach 800 for example, so the IT team can make the necessary paper work ready to get an approval to purchase more Doc Gen allowance before the allowance reaches the end and suddenly all workflows start erroring because of that....

8 replies

Badge +9

@rhia , do you know someone who could help provide a solution to this? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey @cmikhaiel_e - I built a tracker once which I just saved as a UDA / Component Workflow that updated a list every time a Doc Gen was successfully run. In this particular client's case, they needed to build each department's individual customers for the Doc Gen usage, so it would also say for which project & what kind of document was generated. 

That's my recommendation ... unsure of any other ways to track consumption unless there is a PowerShell method. @burked / @eharris04  ?

Badge +9

Thanks @rhia . 

I'm wondering of the actual consumption - you know doc gen better 🙂 - so what if the doc gen action failed mid way would that be actually counted in? How about if the workflow that is supposed to count the successful generation failed? I believe there won't be much of those, but just counting in for different possibilities.

We actually started a similar solution, I think that's what we might end up doing..

However, the business still prefers to have a centralized location that reflects what it is actually in the database (Doc gen actual usage) to avoid any numbers that might be off. I think at this point, we'll use that then unless we find a different way. 

Thanks again @rhia , as always.. appreciated :) 

Badge +17

@cmikhaiel_e and @rhia  thanks for the thoughts. I've passed this along to the PM for consideration with showing the usage within the workflow manager view. 

Another place you can check this is by logging into customer central https://customer.nintex.com/Usage/Pages/default.aspx and looking at the usage.

Its a start in the right direction to helping manage doc gens used. 

Badge +9

Thanks @eharris04 for the valuable info. 

I'm unable to access the customer portal at this time, since I've got a Partner account. 

Do you know if there is a way in the customer portal to configure notifications to be sent to a certain group of people when the usage reaches a certain number? If that's available then I think they should be good. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Definitely a step in the right direction -- I think it'd be great to have this available in SharePoint itself.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
The way I did it to ensure it was with successful runs only was to compare to the library and ensure there was a PDF / DOCX freshly created there before logging it.
Badge

If anyone is looking for a way to create Doc Gen usage alerts, consider creating a workflow in the site's "Workflow History" list.  A new item is added to this list whenever a Doc Gen credit is used with a Description field value like the following: "Document Generation usage entitlement: x of xxxx consumed for the usage entitlement expiring on xx/xx/xxxx".  You can set up the workflow to fire when items are created, with a start condition of Description > contains > "Document Generation usage", or something similar. You can go a step further by including additional start conditions so that it only allows alerts to be sent at specific usage intervals. Below is an example of start conditions that will allow the workflow to be triggered  every 250 doc gen uses.

Beyond this, the workflow really only needs to contain a "Send an Email" action, with the body containing the item's Description field and the subject and recipients set as you see fit.  If you need to know usage on demand, you can parse out the usage number and use that to update a list.  There are obviously quite a few directions that you could take this. 

Anyways, hope this helps someone out.