Continuously repeat the entire process

• 16 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

I created a work flow where 30 days prior to the date in one of the date fields a request for data gets sent to a user to input a new date to replace the existing date (I have a set field icon to update the list field). I would like to set it up so it automatically restarts the entire process the same time next year etc....

How can I accomplish this?

Thank you for your help in advance

3 replies

Badge +5

milkdud, there are a couple of ways to do this:

1) Add another number column to your list called "Interval" or similar. In it will be the days to wait since "date" field to resend alert. To check one year later, put 365 (days) in the interval field for that item.

Then created a scheduled site workflow that runs weekly, monthly, or at some chosen interval. Have it check the items in the list by comparing today's date (the date the workflow runs) against the item "date" + the interval. When today is = or > that date, run your other workflow that sends out the alert.

2) You could create a scheduled site workflow of your original list workflow and set is recurring schedule on any interval you like.

hope this helps,

Gman

Badge +3
Thank you. Would it have to be a site workflow or can i keep it as a list workflow.

I will try your suggest then come back and mark accept.
Badge +5

If you want it to be a scheduled workflow you can use either. We typically use site workflows. To access the scheduler for a list workflow you need to use an item in the list as the triggering workflow. Be sure you don't delete this item or you'll loose the workflow schedule as well. Access the workflow schedule through the item's menu (it's not available in the ribbon).