Including Adlib Workflows

Badge +4

I am unable to add a Adlib PDF workflow as subworkflow. I can select the ADLIB workflow as action, but when I finally the entries, the workflow block has the error that the startable workflow could not be empty.

It seem that Nintex Workflow 2013 does not detect the ADLIB workflow (third party workflow) as valid workflow.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

How are you trying to start the ADLIB workflow ? The "Start Workflow" action will only allow you to start other Nintex Workflows. Is it possible to start an ADLIB workflow via Web Services ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry I need to rephrase this, by Nintex Workflows I also mean s SharePoint Workflows as Nintex uses the SharePoint workflow engine.

Looking at the http://www.adlibsoftware.com/support/documentation/adlibpdfenterprise/5.0/en/AdlibPDFSharePointWorkflowConnectorGuide.pd…‌ documents around the Setting up of Adlib, it seems you have to associate the Adlib workflows with the document library you wish to workflow with. Are you getting this far ? Or is it a case where you have set the "Call Workflow" action and selected the Adlib workflow but on execution it doesn't work ? Are you able to manually start the adlib workflow on the document ?

Also could you tell us what version of Workflow you are running ? Have you updated to the latest version ?

Cheers.

Badge +4

Hello Dan,

thanks for your fast feedback.

I have a SharePoint workflow called "PDF Erzeugung". This contains the

Adlib workflow and works well. I start this workflow manually.

Now I have tried to use this workflow within Nintex and run in trouble.

The screenshots shows whats happening:

I can select the workflow, but when I save and close the window. I see a

warning sign with the message below.

I don not know, why the Sharepoint Workflow is not recognized or

accepted. Do you have any idea what is wrong?

regards

Robert

Badge +4

Hi Dan,

in the meantime, I did a couple of other tests.My problem has nothing to

do with the Adlib Workflow templates. I have tried to call the sample

SharePoint workflows which are part of SharePoint 2013 (e.g. Approval -

Sharepoint 2010) and also this does not work.

Do I have a general misunderstanding?

This was my approach:

1. Select a library

2. Use Ribbon bar - library - Add a workflow

3. Create a workflow based on the existing templates.

4. Save a TEST

5. Use Ribbonbar - library - Create a Nintex Workflow

6. Use the Start Workflow action and select the TEST workflow

Result: As described in my former email, Workflow is not

recognized/accepted.

Could you help me?

regards

Robert

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi Robert, we have received word from Adlib that their product doesn't work with Nintex workflow 2013 as it does with 2007 and 2010. If you have already purchased adlib seek their advice on how to execute their workflows. Adlib are a technology partner of Nintex and should have the relevant contacts to be able to make it work. Laura's suggestion of calling the workflow web service will probably work though and is easy enough. Stay tuned, as we hear more from adlib we will update this thread.

Badge +4

Hi Dan,

Adlib is not the only Sharepoint workflow which I need to start. If such a simple basic functionallity which works well in former version does not work anymore, the whole Nintex solution is useless for our company and also my implementation partners will rethink about further use of Nintex.

For my opinion this is a big lack of the whole product and I have to discuss this with your key account manager..

Could you explain the situation and hopefully find a suitable solution. As already explained start a workflow as webservice is not sufficient because how can the mainworkflow wait until the subworkflow is finished, how can I handover information between the workflows and other Sharepoint Addons supports only Sharepoint workflows and have not implemented a RESTtful webservice.

regards

Robert