SharePoint list item read/view permission

Badge +2

Hello Everyone,

I am new to Nintex permission side, I am sorry if question is too dump.

I have nintex workflow 2013 running on list when Item is getting edited. In workflow I am changing the permission of person who created it to 'Read Permission'.

When the user who created item, tries to 'VIEW ITEM' he is getting error 'Sorry, you don't have access to this page' and if same user is trying to edit same item, he is able to open item make changes and save it successfully.

It is really weird the same item to the same user is able to open in edit view but not in view item view. 

I really appreciate if someone guide me or give me some tips.

Thank you.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

this shouldn't happen.

can you post configuration of set permissions action?

some overview of your overall workflow would be helpful as well to understand when/in what circumstances set permission action is executed.

Badge +2

But its happening.

I tried another thing is, I created another workflow which have only one action which is 'Set item permissions'. Using this action I am setting permission to 'created by' user.

I tried below permissions:

1. Read --- User is still not able to read it.
  2. Restricted Read --- User is still unable to view item in view mode.
  3. Edit --- User is able to open item in edit mode BUT not in view mode.
  4. Full Control --- User is able to open item in edit mode BUT not in view mode.

Just to let you know, when user open item in Edit/view mode. Item opens in Nintex form. I want to know, In Nintex form can we configure it to not to open in view mode?

Badge +2

Sorry couldn't upload action configuration in previous post. As I set I have only one action 'Set Item Permissions':

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set item permission configuration

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

let me understand what's happening

- user creates an item

- no workflow runs so far, since it is configured to run just on edit (modify) event

- the user who created the item tries to open it in VIEW mode and it fails

- the user who created the item tries to open it in EDIT mode and it works.

is this your scenario?

Badge +2

Its similar to approval process:

• UserA creates a item, and it gets assigned to UserB. (workflow get trigger but no permission is change at this time)
  • UserB (admin) review the item, and he assigned to UserX (final approver) to approve/reject item (at this moment a workflow is trigger which will change the item permission of userA to 'Read', so that he doesn't make any changes).
  • When item is assigned to UserX for reviewing, and at the same time UserA tries to view item he not able to view it but he is able to edit it.

Workflow get trigger at both event, item create event and item edit event. But we are changing item permission on when item got edited.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

- check through 'shared with' how permissions are granted and inherited for a given item

- check settings of READ permission level whether it really grants read permission and do not grant edit permission

- check configuration of 'Item level permissions' in list's advanced settings

- if you have lookups on the form, check whether user still have permissions on the referenced list(s)

- if you have people&group field on the form, check whether user still have permissions to read membership of the group(s) referenced

- if you have access to ULS logs try to investigate whether it doesn't provide any hints what exact permissions a re missing.

Badge +2

- Through 'shared with', I have checked the permission for an item. user have enough permissions.

- Through list settings, user have 'Read Access' and 'Create and Edit Access'.

- There are no lookups or people&group in this list.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

can you as well check READ permission level settings (just for sure)?

Through 'shared with', I have checked the permission for an item. user have enough permissions.

hm, from your explanation I would expect at least two entries there.

one for item creator and second one for task approver...

is 'Ats test' one of these users? or is it a group of users which both creator and approver are member of?

can you try following test: disable set permission action in workflow and run it this way.

can creator under same conditions (task assigned to approver UserX) view the item?

Badge +2

I am not sure why this issue was occurring when everything was correct.

I uploaded same workflow in my staging environment and it worked fine. Same scenario everything same worked fine in Staging.

For now, I am happy it worked well but why that weird issue was occurring will keep haunting me. happy.png

Thank you for all your help ‌, really appreciate your comments.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

could it be somebody else changed in background something of we talked about above?

if that's as well not the case, you hopefully  at least collected few hints what to check when it happens again laugh.png

Badge

I have the same issue.does anyone have an update. I read this could be a caching user Id issue. Updates appreciated.