if I need to re-build a sharepoint list that has a nintex form and workflow associated with it, what is the best/easiest way to save/re-create the form and workflow?

Badge +3

I have an issue tracking system that I built with a custom list, Nintex form and workflow.  I think I messed up the list (deleted a critical view - all issues) and now the list permissions are not functioning properly.  If I create a new list, will I need to create the form and workflow from scratch again or can I somehow copy them over? 

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi,

if the structure of the list is the same, you can just export your Nintex Form and Nintex Workflow (when you go in the designer, you have an option to export it)..then in the new list you can do an import, so you don't have to rebuild them from scratch!

Giacomo

Badge +3

Thank you for that suggestion! I did that and I believe it is working fine. I appreciate your helpl!

Maureen Eversmeyer

Badge +6

Deleting a view should not have affected the list permissions something else must have happened. 

Badge +3

I didn’t think so, but I wasn’t sure what else could have caused it. As I am still having that issue, I will keep working to try to figure it out (at least I learned how to do something new ☺)

Maureen Eversmeyer

Badge +6

In SharePoint, Permissions can be assigned to Sites, Lists (or list items), Document Libraries, Folders (or individual documents), however, there is no way to assign them to a View in a list or library.

Badge +3

Thank you for your continued help! I really do appreciate it! The whole scenario I have is this: I built a help desk ticket system with Nintex form and workflow that originally utilized choice columns in the main list. Since then, I have gone to using look up fields pointing to other custom lists so that I could update the choices easier. The main list begins with the sharepoint group “ticket requestors” to have contribute permissions to this list so that they can create a new ticket. Inside the workflow, the permissions are changed at the item level to be read only for the initiator. The intent was to let people who submitted tickets to be able to view their own tickets but no one else’s. What is happening now is after a ticket is submitted, the initiator cannot just click on their list item and view the ticket (an access request form pops up). However, if the list item is selected (check mark at the left/beginning of list item) and then in the ribbon, item tab, edit button can be clicked and the form will open up (correspondingly, if the view button is clicked, the access request form pops up). This has been hugely frustrating since I have combed through all list permissions and even disabled all item level permission controls in the workflow. Have I missed something obvious? Or not so obvious?

Maureen Eversmeyer

Badge +6

What perms on the related lookup list do they have? they need at least Read.

Badge +3

They have read on every list/library on that site.

Maureen Eversmeyer

Badge +6

What version of SP are you using?  Do you have any images on the form? any custom code?

Badge +3

We are using SharePoint 2013 and there is no custom code on the form (only hide/disable rules are implemented). The image we are using at the top of the form is referenced from the site assets library that the users have read permissions on as well.

Maureen Eversmeyer

Badge +3

I wonder if it has something to do with “limited access” being checked when I view permissions for that group. I googled that and found this:

· This also happens if users reset unique permissions by clicking on the "Delete unique permissions" button without first removing the permissions currently assigned to users at that level. This is unexpected since "Delete unique permissions" implies it will remove all unique permissions at that level.

To avoid orphaned "Limited Access" when changing unique permissions:

1. Select all current users with unique permissions and click the "Remove User Permissions" button (it will be greyed out until you select at least one user). SharePoint will remove their unique permissions at that level rather than leaving the orphaned "Limited Access" permissions.

2. You can now safely use the "Delete unique permissions" button to reset the permissions to default.

Maureen Eversmeyer

Badge +6

SharePoint shows Limited Access whenever there are custom permissions or inheritance is broken. It is annoying because it does not tell you where these things have occurred and confusing because it is such a vague phrase. The fact that you have a wf that is changing the perms would cause that to occur. It is expected behavior

Badge +3

Dean, turns out that I was using a people/group field on the form that was referencing a specific sharepoint group that wasn’t shared. Thank you for all of your suggestions!!

Maureen Eversmeyer