Nintex for SharePoint 2019 is there a way to automate turning form submissions into a physical file?

• 20 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I need to find a way to possibly use the workflow to create an actual file that duplicates the submitted form and place it in a document library.  The is so we can automate getting the form submissions into our archive system OnBase.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?  Using Document Generation would be too expensive.

2 replies

Badge +5

@tina you can use the Update Document OOB action in the workflow. this action use Word automation service. so you need to make sure this service is installed and configured in your SharePoint server. 

to configure the action, you need to have a word template of your Nintex Form, and inside the template you should have controls of the dynamic data. Refer to below blog:

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Community-blogs/Write-to-Documents-using-the-Update-document-action/ba-p/81649

This action has some limitations such as :

• upload dynamic image to the template

• generate dynamic tables in the template

Badge +2

I did a test of this by creating a list with only 3 fields in it and then creating a document library and followed the instructions for the workflow for the document library as well as editing the template and adding the content controls.  On the list with the form with 3 fields I created a workflow that creates an item in the document library which then kicks off the workflow in the document library.  It creates the Word document but when I open the Word document nothing is there.