How to use the complete workflow task?

Badge +4

I am trying to set up a workflow that includes a task assignment to a director.  The requirements are that the director simply be able to check out the document, review it, electronically sign it and then check it back in.  I have tried to use the complete workflow task action (for testing I just set it to complete after 1 minute), but the workflow doesn't ever move past the task assignment step. Are there any special requirements to get this to work?  The help on these actions is really not very helpful.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

why do you want to complete task with a workflow action?

why don't you let the director to respond/confirm the task assigned?

can you post what task action you have used to assign the task and its configuration?

and configuration of complete task action?

Badge +4

The users do not want to require the director to take the extra step.  Escalation doesn't work because the timeframe is unknown.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

yeah, I understand that, but he/she will anyway have to learn how to work with check-out/check-in. one additional confirmation shouldn't matter. explicit confirmation would be the most reliable. waiting for check in need not be reliable - once he/she forgets to check in, other time checks in mid-reviewed version, etc.

either way, it should be possible to complete task action within workflow. but get a picture what might be wrong with your setup post configurations I asked above.

Badge +4

They are already doing the check out check in process, that is a standard operating procedure for the department.  I am trying to meet my customer's needs - not question their request.  My basic question remains, how to use the complete workflow task.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

without knowing sufficient details, just a very general hint.

you will need setup approval step similarly to following.

the key point is that within task action you save action ID, which you will then in turn reference in complete workflow task

213185_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +4

Thanks for this option.  I did try it as you have shown.  I originally tried it with the FlexiTask, which did not have the Action ID.  This solution did work, although it took longer than I had hoped to actually mark the task as complete so it disappeared from the "My Tasks" view in the Workflow Tasks library.  Is there any way to speed that up, or is that not controllable?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what do you exactly mean with it takes longer time?

have you configured any delay in complete task action?

that's basically driven by sharepoint's timer job and its wake up frequency.

let's assume default 5min.

so, within up to 5min after document is checked out, wait for check out action should be notified and advance workflow to next action - complete task.

even if there is not any delay configured in the complete task action, it will take one another timer job cycle to complete task in the other branch.

so in worst case I would assume the task should be completed up to 10min (resp. 2 timer job cycles)

is that too much for you?

Badge +4

I will check on the SharePoint's timer job wake up frequency.  If the director has several to review, then 10 minutes would be too long.  I'll find out internally what the shortest possible timeframe is.

Thanks for your guidance.

Badge +4

I checked with our SharePoint administrator and he did know what you meant by SharePoint's timer job and wakeup frequency.  My supervisor, who is our team's SharePoint expert, tried to research and was not able to find anything referencing these terms.  Can you provide any additional information on the timer job and wakeup frequency?  It is taking well over 10 minutes fro these tasks to complete, while I have the wait on the settings for the Complete Task action set to one minute.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what about if your supervisor and team's SP expert got in contact with your SP admin(s) and they together clarify the topic?

timer job interval is possible to change in its definition in CA. see MSDN SP timer job reference page

Timer job reference for SharePoint 2013 

note however, it might have impact on overall performance, see eg

Impact of decreasing value of workflow timer job 

you could as well find several threads on this forum on the topic, just use search

https://community.nintex.com/search.jspa?q=sharepoint%20workflow%20timer%20job 

It is taking well over 10 minutes

have you checked workflow log what exactly causes it?

If the director has several to review, then 10 minutes would be too long

if the director completed the task on his own it would disappeared more-less instantly form his task list ...

Badge +4

Thank you for the article.  I have passed it on.

I will actually be pursuing a different view for the Director, rather than My Tasks.  However, the example you provided is very helpful to close out the task so the workflow continues and does move the document to its final destination without requiring the Director to use the task form (as I indicated, which was the original requirement).  I also appreciate you showing that the task completion only works with the Request Approval action, not the Flexi Task Action.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

great.

if that's all you needed please mark the question answered.