Can I archive data from a list and clear a task form for next day use?

Badge +8

Hello

I wasn't quite sure how to search for this so I am asking my trusty Nintex friends.

I have a SP2013 list and have attached a Nintex form to it. The list is a validation list that people have to go in daily/weekly/monthly/etc to validate line items and pass or fail. I want to create a workflow that when an item gets put in "Pass" status, the data archives to another folder and that line item clears out specific fields to get it ready for the next day/week/month/etc's validation.

Is this something that is possible with workflow? I am new as of 1 day to Nintex Workflow. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Cassy FreemanPatrick AbelEmily BillingPhilipp LucasRyan Duguidjenn kelleyJamie TruranCeline BaldeviaJason SiebertEmily Slagle

72 replies

Badge +8

It worked...it worked!!!!!! You are a life saver! Thank you SOOOO much!! And thanks for all of your patience with me!

Badge +8

Oh no...we have a problem. So yes, it archives the data, which is great! But I thought it was going to copy the data not totally remove it from the original list. Is there a way around that?

Badge +8

Cassy Freeman​ Ok, so I think I can do the same workflow but in reverse if I need to in order to put the static data back on the main form. Unless you know of a better way.

Badge +8

Cassy Freeman​ Figured it out. Sorry. Hope your phone isn't blowing up.

Badge +16

what do you mean totally remove it?

Badge +16

ha my phone is going wild with all these notifications!

Are you sorted?  Can we close this thread so I can look at your other ones wink.png

if you've sorted it I would really like to see the final solution - maybe you could write a blog post about the problem and the final solution (this thread is impossible to read now) - could be handy for other people and I would like to see the finished article!

Badge +8

I'm so sorry about all the messages. I got excited lol. I am sorted as far as this issue goes. So we can close and I will write a blog about it. I will open any other questions/issues up under a new thread to start fresh.

Badge +8

Hey Cassy Freeman​. Tried to blog this whole discussion today but couldn't figure out how to. I will look more into it tomorrow. Need your help though. So, everything above is working golden on my main and archive forms. So with that, I decided to create a 3rd list (exactly like the archive) for items past due. Once they go past due, the workflow will move them to the "Review Past Due" list. I copy and pasted my snippet for the main list to clear out the fields once completed. I adjusted this workflow to clear ALL fields once completed (not just the specific ones in my main one). This new workflow is archiving perfectly and is clearing fields. But only clearing the ones that were in the original workflow. I even deleted them and redid ALL fields in this new workflow. Not sure why I can't get these additional fields to go blank. Probably something dumb.

184955_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +16

I'll have a read of this tomorrow when I can focus more    It's almost 11pm here and my brain is frazzled!

Badge +16

is it not easier to have a status column against your list items to say "past review due date"?

you're copying the data from a template list item aren't you?  so if they aren't blank in the template then they won't go blank?

maybe you need to have another template list item for this scenario with all blank fields and use that one to update the item?

Badge +8

The problem here is that the review needs done daily so that means if they did not review yesterday, today there would be 2 line items to review for that task. And if they did not review for 2 days, today there would be 3 line items, etc. I created a template list item on this new "past due" list and redid the workflow. Same thing. The other fields (that I had in the first workflow) are clearing just fine. But not the Static ones from my first workflow. I copied a snippit from the original workflow and used it for this new one. Could that be the reason?

Badge +16

So let me get this straight

you have a list of daily checks

if check completed, item gets copied to archive list and original item is updated to be the templated item

if check not completed, item gets copied to past review list and original item is updated to be the templated item?

Badge +8

You got it!!

Badge +16

Ok so which part isn't working? Resetting of the original item after goes in past review?

Badge +8

Everything is working beautifully on this past due report. It's moving the data to my archive report when it finally is completed but when it's supposed to clear ALL fields, it's only clearing the ones I set up to clear in my initial main form. And yes, I have selected ALL the fields in this one and changed the template source to the "Past due" report where I have a blank template item in the Title field.

Badge +16

Ok so when the past review itEm is responded to you are copying that to the archived one.  Why don't you then just delete the item from the past review list?

Badge +8

Tried that and disabled the "clear items" action and added the delete action. And it's still clearing those fields. So there is definitely something wrong. I probably have to re-write the workflow instead of using the snippet from the original.

184998_pastedImage_0.png

Red are clearing. Line is not deleting and other fields are not clearing. Again, I disabled the "clearing" action and switched to the delete action.

184999_pastedImage_1.png

Badge +16

So youve got two workflows on the main list (one to send to archive and one to overdue). The workflow you have on the overdue list should only have two actions - insert item into archive list then delete item current item?

Badge +8

Yep, you are exactly correct. But then I stopped my main workflow and created the delete one (above) on the past due workflow.

185003_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +16

Sorry if I am asking obvious and same questions but I am struggling to understand which bits are working and which bits aren't.

In the workflow above you should have your actions inside the containers of the run if actions (see there is a design node in the box, that is where your actions should be).  So as far as I see it, the workflow above will either add an item to the archive or to the due review list.

hold on, forced update brb

Badge +16

reboot that should have said - haha I was rushing!

OK so the workflow you have pictured is taking an item from your main list and putting it either in the archive or the due date one and then resetting the item in the main list right?  is that bit all working?

The next workflow I want to see is the workflow that exists on your past review date items list.  this workflow should do the copy to the archive list and then delete current item.  is that where you have your workflow (on the past review list) and is that what it does?  the workflow should have the conditional start you have pictured above.

Sorry for all the clarifying.

Badge +8

Oh geez. Don' be sorry. I appreciate you more than you know! I am afraid I am going to drive you nuts, if I haven't already.

OK so the workflow you have pictured is taking an item from your main list and putting it either in the archive or the due date one and then resetting the item in the main list right?  is that bit all working? - Yep, it's working fine.

Here is the workflow: The delete action in the red box is not working.

185017_pastedImage_2.png

185019_pastedImage_3.png

Badge +16

So this workflow above with delete item is on the past review date list right?

if so, delete item action should default to "current item" - you shouldn't need to look

again your run if container should be around the actions you only want to run under that condition.

Badge +8

Hi Cassy

Yes, that workflow is for the past review date.

What does this mean? What do you mean by container around the actions you only want to run? I am sorry I am struggling with this one.

you shouldn't need to look

again your run if container should be around the actions you only want to run under that condition.

Badge +8

I just realized it's 10pm there. Are you responding from the pub? lol