Nintex Workflow: How do I get information back to the start form?

• 9 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hello,
I created a workflow for authorization assignment. The Start Form contains the new and already authorized users. To avoid changes in QuickEdit in the columns I connected the control elements with variables. After the workflow the fields in the Start Form are empty. How do I get it that they are filled with the last info, like when using columns? The workflow adds the new authorized persons to the already authorized ones and should display this in the start form.

Deepest thanks for your ideas

6 replies

Badge +7

Can you include some print screens of what you have setup? Pictures always help show the overall situation.

Badge +2

Hi,

sorry for the delay.

this is my Start Form. All actions are associated with variables.
These are processed by the workflow. It is about people who should get access to the currently selected list item or already have it and the start date.

There are ranges for access for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month.

The workflow sends a mail to new authorized users in the middle column Neu. It transfers the "new" ones to the right column Aktuell. At the end all authorized persons must be in one of the "Aktuell" fields. If the fields are connected with columns, no problem, if they are connected with variables, all fields are empty at the next workflow start. The values are not stored in the start form. Where is the error? How can I best save my data without columns after the end of the workflow and read it into the Start Form at the start of the workflow?

The variables are also displayed correctly in the log at the end of the workflow.

THank you

Badge +7

Ok, I'm starting to get a better picture of what you're trying to accomplish.

First, let me confirm, what kind of workflow are you using?

You keep saying 'Start Form', but actual Start Forms are only on Site Workflows. If you're using a List Workflow, it's just a form on a list that has no real connection to the workflow.

The reason I ask is because it will matter how the form is talking to the list, if at all.

If you're using a List Workflow, you'll be using a list form, which means you can connect each control on the form to a field in the list.

If you're using a Site Workflow with a real Start Form, then it won't have a list or any columns to directly connect to.

Additionally, it would be helpful to include screenshots from your workflow as well, and even from the actions' settings screens so we can see how you have them configured.

Badge +2

Hi,

thank you very much for your interest,

It is a list workflow.

In Nintex 2016 there is the possibility to edit a start form in the workflow settings.

The fields or controls I use are all associated with corresponding workflow variables, not with list columns. List columns can be changed via QuickEdit and that should not be possible.

Deactivating QuickEdit or preventing or hiding the editability of the columns via JavaScript are unfortunately not an option. Even hidden columns are a tricky matter, aren't they?

Hence the attempt with variables.
The workflow processes the variables correctly, sets the permissions and sets a new status.  And this state must be present in the start form at the next workflow start, with columns it works wonderfully.
I'm looking for a way to save the data at the end of the workflow so that I get it back in the start form when I start it. There are 18 fields, 12 people control and 6 Date/Time control.
For example, saving to a file would be good, but how do I get the data from my file into the 18 fields of the start form?

The way to the start form:

My Start Form:

The variables:

Badge +7

Ah, well, that brings up a good point about how we should all always include the version we're on when posting a question. I'm on SharePoint 2013 so, I don't have any experience with 2016. 

In regard to a 'start' form, my understanding is that it's uses specifically to start a new record or iteration of the workflow. Meaning, by definition, it's just now starting and therefore would not have any previous data to include. Of course, without being familiar with 2016, I could be completely wrong.

I can tell you that, in 2013, you can have unbound fields on a standard list form that would retain the data once submitted. However, in order to grab it from the workflow, you would need to parse the FormData XML, since that's the only place the data would be stored.

You may want to look at hidden columns for a much simpler solution, unless 2016 offers additional options.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It sounds like you're trying to do something I'm looking at. Getting the form data from an unbound control on a workflow Start form. I wonder did you ever reach a resolution for this?

My initial thought is that it will require javascript.

My scenario is that I have a Managed metadata control on my start form. I want to capture the value of that Managed Metadata control in a variable to be used in the workflow (I do not want it connected to a column) but it appears you cannot connect this control to a variable, so I need to retrieve it from the form data. I don't think the Start Form data is available to access in the workflow though, so I think I'm left with the idea of using Javascript to write the value of the managed metadata control, to a variable.

Improved suggestions welcome. 🙂