Not applicable

Nintex Workflow Hangs on State Machine

Jump to solution

Hello:

I am new to using Nintex.  We have a Workflow that hangs on a State machine and does not fully execute.  Any ideas to resolve this issue?  Thanks.

33 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Nintex Workflow Hangs on State Machine

Jump to solution

Which version of SharePoint are you in? we used to see this issue a lot in SharePoint 2007 when the SharePoint Workflow Timer was not very reliable. SP 1 for SharePoint seemed to fix it for most people. Maybe check the timer service.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello Rob:

Thanks for responding.  We are using SharePoint 2013.  I will suggest checking the Workflow Timer Service.  Thanks.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi Lorna,

The State Machine action contains a hidden Delay, so checking the Workflow Timer Service is absolutely the best place to go.

Please also ensure that one of your states contains an End State, otherwise the State will continue forever.

For testing, you could turn off “Enforce safe looping workflows” in the Nintex Workflow Global Settings in SharePoint Central Administration, if it is enabled. After that, peform an IISRESET and republish your workflow. Start a new instance and the workflow will run without any delays so you can test the functionality.    It is ‘Enforce safe looping’ that adds a hidden delay. This is to stop badly designed endless loops (and state machines) with no sleeps from using up all the system resources.

I hope this helps!

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello Laura:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my issue.  I will provide your detailed suggestion to my developer.  Have a great day.  Thanks.

thurjs35
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

We had a similar issue where anytime you renamed the State Machine from something other than the default it would hang.  It turned out we hadn't upgraded our database to the latest release.  Once we did that it fixed the issue.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

We had a similar issue that I reported to Nintex support. I first had to verify that state machine worked within the farm. I did this by creating the most simple state machine that updated fields. That worked with no issues which also meant that state machine worked. Then I went to creating tasks. I hard coded the assigned to fields to myself. That seemed to work. Then I changed the assignment names to list people-picker fields, and finally for some reason at that point my workflow was working. For some reason my state machine workflows would not work when I published originally with field look-ups, but if I went through the process of publishing hard-coded names and moving back to the fields everything worked out ok. I still have to do this and I am on the latest version of SharePoint with the most up-to-date patches.

amcmahon
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

When I first started working with state machines, I had a fear that it was hung/stuck as well, but it turned out it was just the way the workflow history presents state machines. Since the state machine isn't complete until your workflow hits an "End State Machine" action.  Is this what you're experiencing, or is it more than that?  statemachine.PNG

Not applicable

Jump to solution

For me it was more than that.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello Jason:

Thanks for your response, we will check the database version as suggested as that is a good tip.  We think we have addressed the issue by turning off "Enforce Safe Looping" for the Workflow on the State Machine.  Thanks for taking the time to respond!  Have a great day.

Lorna

0 Kudos