People Picker on Forms when filtered by SharePoint Group

Badge +16

Hi

Using Nintex Forms 2013 v2.7.0.0.

We are experiencing problems when using the people picker control, specifically when the column is filtered by a SharePoint group.

I have created a test custom list with two columns:

1. Person or Group - "All Users".  Allows all users to be selected
  2. Person or Group - "SharePoint Group Users".  Allows selection of members from the owners SharePoint group for the site.

I created basic Nintex form (opened designer and published without any changes).

SPGroupNintexForms1.PNG

All users field.  Start typing.  People picker seems to start searching after 2 characters are entered, and brings back matches no problems.

SharePoint Group Users field.  Start typing.  People picker seems to start searching after 2 characters are entered, but brings back no matches until I have entered 6 or more characters!

SPGroupNintexForms.PNG

I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues and know of a resolution?  It is driving me and Ryan Greenaway​ insane!

17 replies

Badge +9

Hi Cassy,

What happens if you try it a standard SharePoint form.

Do you have the same behaviour?

Just for your info, even it will not help you, if works like a charm in O365.

Regards,

Christophe

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Did you test both fields against the same exact name?   I would do that if you haven't to try and get a baseline to make sure one name isn't easier to resolve than another.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I work with Cassy Freemanand am working on this issue with her. I've tested this with a ootb SharePoint form and it returns no results for 4 characters but when we enter our 5th character it returns a result. Exactly the same column, exactly the same SharePoint group, even the same user, but slightly different behaviour.

Badge +9

Just for your information, I had the opportunity to test on Prem 2013, and it works also like a charm in a ootb SP Form.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

How many characters did you type in before you got a result? Did you ever get returned a "No Result Found"?

Badge +9

2 characters are enough.

On O365, yes if I type the name of a user that is not in the group

Badge +2

Hello ‌ and

I am facing the same problem, do you find a solution to make the people picker work with two characters?

Thank you!

BR,

Wayne

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi Wayne,

I've moved on from working with Cassy, so she'll have to update you on this issue. I don't believe anything was resolved though. I can't remember whether it was an issue present on the entire environment or just a specific list/site/sitecollection. In my current environment I get results on typing the third letter in the people picker.

Badge +16

I'm not sure we did find a solution (I can't seem to find the site the issue was on now and no users have complained!!)

Badge +2

Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your update, actually I have the same problem on the entire farm.

I am trying to resolve this issue by overwriting the search logic in JavaScript, I will post my code here when I complete.

Badge +16

How did you get on with that?

Badge +3

We are experiencing the same issue on our client's form as well. It's inconsistent though... depending on which user's name we are typing - sometimes it returns results with only two characters entered, and sometimes we have to type almost the full first and last name! Mild annoyance... I haven't tested on an OOB SP form yet. That will be my next step.

Badge +16

Hey Nicole!

yeah I literally cannot remember now what site this was on and the user gave up whining about it so it's died a death my end but I know the issue was still there so I've not closed the thread. I'm sure it was oob. Let me know how you get on so hopefully we can resolve this thread (and I have an answer if my user ever pipes up again)! 

Badge +5

Hi everybody,

we do face the same problem. Our Nintex Forms version is 2.9.4.0. Is this behaviour fixed in a later version?

Greetings from Nuremberg

Ricky

Badge

I'm seeing something similar but with Nintex 2016, and unconnected with Sharepoint list column.  I'm simply restricting a people picker based on membership of a Sharepoint Group, and weirdly it takes a different number of characters before triggering the search for each name - varying from 2 to 5 so far.

Badge +8

Hi Cassy/Ryan,

I also have the same issue and am working on Forms v 2.9.1.20. It isn't something the business has raised it for this project but when I faced this in my last project I replaced the people picker control with the v1 version and the business seems to like it when they can browse through all the people in the group and then select, rather than typing in the name and guessing if that user belongs to that group. (If you know what I mean)

If you can replace yours with the v1 version (I believe the user experience would be different) but from where ever I have seen this, business seems to be more happy using the v1 version just because of the fact that they can see all the people in the group and can decide who it can be assigned to.

Regards,

Shrini

Badge

Hi, I have a very strange behaviour here. I have added a people/group field which is only a sharepoint group. When user is trying enter the people in the field he doesn't find. But when we add user into that sharepoint group it self then he can find the people in the field But we don't want add all user to sharepoint group and wants user to find people who are in that sharepoint group.