Nintex Workflow - Failed to Start after Security update

• 8 December 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi am new to supporting SharePoint/Nintex and we have a few Nintex workflows running on Prem and Monday night I installed windows updates and all of the workflows are Error "Failed to start" Canceled by System Account. 

I have made sure all of the servers had have the updates and are in sync. I am not sure how to find the error. I tried turning on Verbose logging to one of them and the package failed.  I created packages for other prior failures but there is nothing that indicates failure to start.

I am at a loss of what to do; uninstall the security updates? All of the information regarding this type of error with security updates have been verified as existing in our systems.

Update installed are

Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2016 (KB5002029) farm-deployment

Security Update for Microsoft SharePoint Enterprise Server 2016 (KB5002006) farm-deployment

1 reply

I had a similar issue.

SharePoint 2013 On-Prem. 

Applied security updates: 

KB4011600, KB5002008, KB5002015, KB5002063, KB5002071, KB5002600, KB5008263, and KB5008285

Next day, workflows with Flexitasks were giving workflows failed with "Failed to Start" message.  Also found that I was unable to publish any workflows with a Flexitask in them.

Found this post on Nintex Community site.

https://community.nintex.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Unable-to-publish-or-run-workflows-after-installing-SharePoint/ta-p/206499

Resolution in the article was to add two lines to the <authorizedTypes> section of the web application's web.config file.

<authorizedType Assembly="mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" Namespace="System" TypeName="Int64" Authorized="True" />
<authorizedType Assembly="mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" Namespace="System" TypeName="Int64" Authorized="True" />

I added them to my web.config and did an IISRESET. 

Tested.  

Workflows are running. 

Now able to publish WF with Flexitask. 

Seems to have done the trick for me.

Remember to make a backup copy of your web apps web.config before modifying it in case you have to revert to the previous version.

Hope this helps to resolve your issue.