Last Task Respondent and Escalation

Badge +16

Hi All

I have a flexi task which has reminders and escalation.

The escalation is configured on some actions to approve after some elapsed time.  On other actions it is set to reject.

I need to know if the task has been approved by the assignee, or auto-approved by the escalation.

How do I do this?

I tried to compare Last Task Respondent with the assigned approver to see if they are the same (i.e. approved by person) or different (i.e. approved by the system through escalation).  This didn't work.  I logged to history list Last Task Respondent and it was still me, even though the workflow escalated the task outcome.

So my question is this, how do I tell if the task has been approved by the assigned person, or if it has an outcome based on the escalation settings?

15 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Hey

Had the same requirement in an approval process and I set the Escalation comments of the flexi task to be "Task auto approved by Workflow Escalation due to overdue approval"

Then I could query the approver comments and then I knew who had approved.

Badge +16

Good shout poppet!  I did add escalation comments on each of them so I could do that.  But there must be something out of the box?  I notice that the Last Task Respondent is the initiator which in my case is a service account, so I can check for that also, but I would have thought there would be an easier way to identify this!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

You would have thought so wouldn't you!!!

Handy having the initiator as a service account.

Only other thing I can think of is an another Outcome, which is what the auto approval sets the outcome as?? You would need to hide this option on the form though so would be trickier.

Badge +16

I take it back - it doesn't put the initiator in the Last Task Respondent - it just picked one of the multiple people it was assigned to!  Arrggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

What happens to the task Modified By field if it's auto-completed? Is it changed by system account or workflow initiator?

Badge +16

will look at that.  but then that means querying the workflow task list right?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Cassy Freeman wrote:

Good shout poppet!  

That is the most English thing I have ever read on this site.

Badge +16

oh you have to be very special to me to be called poppet, Poppet wink.png 

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Shirley not. That's utter tosh.

Sent from mobile

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'm not sure I'm getting the point of the question since it sounds to me to be too easy happy.png

but, once you configure escalation to COMPLETE flexi task, you have to provide an outcome. the outcome have to be different from regular ones configured on Action tab. so the outcome uniquely identifies the task was autoapproved/escalated after time elapsed. you just have to enable OTHER branch where it falls after escalation happened.

is it this what you're looking for?

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

The outcome doesn't HAVE to be different. That is the point. How can you differentiate between a manual approval and an automatic approval just from the Last Task respondent? You have to add extra steps in the workflow when a simple auto approved stamp would be enough.

Badge +16

Yes that would do it also.  I have already configured looking at the comments for auto approval and rejection now since this post but I will definitely keep it in mind for next time.  I literally never use the "other" branch on a flexi task so this is a good business case for it.  Thanks Marian Hatala.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

The outcome doesn't HAVE to be different

this is from documentation

206015_pastedImage_2.png

here is a recent discussion when regular outcome caused problems once used as escalation outcome

How can you differentiate between a manual approval and an automatic approval just from the Last Task respondent?

I wouldn't check task respondents at all, I would just check outcome

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so you use one of regular outcomes for escalation and decides by a comment?

I would be careful with that - see my above post.

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Yeah, as you say from the documentation, the outcome doesn't have to be different. Thanks for clarifying that for everyone.

I agree, I would check the comments or as I suggested above, like you, is use a separate outcome