K2 worfklow and its Versioning

• 9 September 2016
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Badge +9

Dear Expert,

We have come across this discussion many times before but I am looking for a real nice tutorial on how to manitain versioning of the K2 Workflow and its all associated artifcats (View, Forms, Smartobjects) . Our export mentioned that we can not maintain the source control version for smartobjects, views, forms and workflow. I can see the deployed version of the workflow in the K2 workspace but that does not maintain the source code fo each different version.

Is there a better way to do source control version for all these K2 artifcats under development. My development environment is K2 designer for views,forms and VS 2013 for K2 workflow and use SharePoint Server 2013 for repositories.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hi IPO

Firstly, you can download the sourcecocde for each workflow version from the K2 workpace. Next to each process version is a download link.

I am not sure if you are talking about source control, or versioning of your solutions (or both)?

One approach to source control and versioning is to use Package and Deploy (P&D). You can create a package at any point which will wrap up all K2 artifacts and store this package somewhere appropriate. Typically you will have a package for every version of a solution you release to production. Granted, this will not allow you to do things such as compare versions and branching etc, however you can redploy a package if you want to revert to an earlier version.

Using P&D for solution versioning is a tricky subject because it depends on what has changed between versions as to how easy it is to revert to an earlier version. For example, if you make a change to a database and then a K2 smartobject, if you try and revert to a previous version (redeploy an earlier package) you will need to know to change the database also - which will not be included in the P&D package.

You can also use TFS or other source code systems inside of Visual Studio for your workflows and SmartObjects (provided they are developed in VS) but this of course does not include your forms/views and other artifacts.