Nintex Repeating Section and updating FormData from Workflow

• 21 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi All,  Hoping someone can assist in my issue.  I have a list 'Movies' and a simple Nintex form with a repeating section .  So this is a screen where a user can enter one-to-many data  (aka parent/child, master/detail).   In example below (Screenshot1) I have created Movies as the parent record, and characters are the child records using the repeating section and some simple text fields.  Because this is a repeating section the 'characters' data is stored in the FormData Field in the Movies List.

What I want to do is simply create a workflow to update the 'Goodorbad' FormData field in the Movies list after a user has Saved the form.  I have used the UDA published from other Nintex contributors and I can extract the XML attributes and save to another list 'Characters' so I know how that works (screenshot 2).  However I cant workout how to update the 'GoodorBad' field within the FormData Field in the Movies List.  I've tried 'UpdateXML' and then 'Update item' (FormData) but I cant get it to work.

Any help appreciated. Thanks Scott 

197132_pastedImage_1.png

197134_pastedImage_2.png

197135_pastedImage_3.png

6 replies

Badge +10

Hi, Your requirement is not very clear, what I understood is that you just want to save the repeating section data to the master list. You don't have to use a different workflow to to do. Just create a Multi text field in movies and open the nintex form design mode and click on repeating section and select the connected to value to the new field created. Publish it. so when the user save the from, it will automatically save the whole repeating section data in the form of XML. You can use this to extract any data you want using a workflow.

Badge +1

Thanks for reply Sojan.  When you add a control to the Repeating Section it is no longer connected to the individual SharePoint field, the data will be stored in hidden FormData field.   I don't have a problem extracting any data from FormData.    All I want to do is update the existing data in the Lists FormData field via a workflow. 

197139_pastedImage_2.png

Badge +10

Hi Scott, i am not asking you to connect individual contorls, connect the whole repection section data to a multiline field. Form data is having more data. But when you connect the repeating section to a field you will have only little data only related to repeating section. More easy to handle than form data

Badge +1

Ok thanks.  I have now done that, and the XML is now displayed in the Comments Field as shown below in XML Format. I'll have a play around and see if I can then change change a value in one of the Tags and update the FormData

197140_pastedImage_1.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

basically, there is no difference whether you update repeater data in FormData hidden field or dedicated list field (Comments), it should work in both cases.

using dedicated list item filed is better/cleaner approach.

approach with update XML + update item is in principle correct, but you haven't mentioned which action exactly you have a problem with.

so hard to advice anything specific.

if you are not sure, send update XML action output to yourself by mail and check whether you get expected output.

it might help to understand your problem faster if you posted update XML/item action configuration.

I do not understand a reason for a loop in your workflow.

is it meant for repeater rows? if so, then it is not needed at all. you can update all the rows with one single XPath expression (assuming you update all the rows with the same value) or you can define several different XPath expressions with one workflow action if you needed different updates in different rows.

Badge +1

Thanks for your help Marian, I've just tried updating the dedicated list field Comments and looks like it worked for a single record happy.png   I'll see if I can work the rest out now.  Have a good day. Cheers Scott