Single Client Event, Multiple Roles

• 25 April 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge +4

I am doing a meeting reservation system.  Say we have 5 offices with 10 rooms per office.  Let's also say we have an IT role per office to help with the meetings.  Let's say one meeting consists of 2 rooms per office.  I need the ability to assign each Office IT role to each Office...AND I need the ability to allow people within those roles to take ownership of each room within that office, for that meeting.  So the desired result is 20 worklist items where members in each role/office can pick up those items.  I'd prefer to not create an activity per office.  I was thinking of having one activity however it seems like I'd need to create 50 roles (one per each location) in order to configure that activity to give the desired result.  In actuality I have 800 rooms with 3 different roles...so my real solution would have over 2400 roles with what I'm thinking.  Doesn't sound right.  Does this make sense and if so, anyone have any other ideas?

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

This sounds more like a data question than a role question. I most likely wouldn't use a role for this scenario. As you started, the different combinations can get unmanagable fast. I would look more to storing this information in a database or maybe even a smartbox depending on volume. Either way, you can create a more normalized structure to support your varioius usage scenarios. The goal would be to query your data source of choice and get back a list of users/groups. You could then put those into a single destination rule in your workflow. Something along these lines will be more straight forward to implement and afford you much more flexablity down the road. You might even consider using AD Groups to keep the focus on the idea of a role and not indivudal users since those can change.

Hope this helps.

S.