How can I identify who Closed a task, which was assigned to a group?

• 22 December 2015
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

We are using the "Assign to-do task" action to assign a task to an AD group.

The task is created & the emails are send to the members successfully.

The issue: we need to know which member of the group responded to the task. Until now we have found the following:

1. the "Last Task Respondent" nintex variable contains the name of the group, not the user that responded.
  2. The task is updated by the "system" user account, not the user that responded.
  3. we can not call a SharePoint built in Web or REST service, because they both require credentials (in which case the user will be the one supplying the credentials)

So we are stuck:

Is there a way to find the user responding to a task assigned to a group???

Help! / Thanks!

Dinos

6 replies

Badge +11

Ratnesh Garg If I assign a task to a group of people, the "assigned to" field shows the name of the group. If one member of the group completes the task, the column still shows the whole group and not the single person who completed the task. Are you sure the person who completes the task is put in the "assigned to" field after completing the task? If so, any suggestions why it is not working for me?

Konstantinos Konstantinou​ I'm wondering about your second point. Why is the task updated by the system account and not by the person who is actually responding to this task? Is there another workflow running on your task list? You could, however, implement an event receiver on your task list that checks for task completions and informs you (e. g. by mail) about the current user responsible for this item change.

Cheers

Philipp

Badge +2

Hi Konstantinos,

have you tried activating Versioning on the task list, in order to check for all item changes? This might give some insights on who/what updates the tasks.

You can active Versioning using List Settings -> Versioning Settings, and view the versions of the items in the task list via context menu.

Badge +11

The workflow history should let you know

Badge +2

Philipp Lucas​, I agree with you, I do not understand why the task is responded by the System account. No other workflows are running. My guess is that something occurs behind the scenes. When the task is completed, although the fields "% Completed" and "Status" are not visible to the user that responds, they are set auto-magically to 100% and "Completed" respectively.confused.png

Badge +2

Martin Zierler​, enabling the Versioning will satisfy my curiosity, but not my need (which is to get the name of the respondent while the workflow runs) (nice one though!)

Badge

Hi Konstantinos,

another workaround would be to create a workflow variable "LastApprover" of type "person or group".

Add on the task-form a Control of type "People" with the following settings:

• Default value source=Default value Expression
  • Default value= Common-> Current User

(You should hide this control e.g. add it to a panel and hide the panel.)

Now you have a workflow variable set with the user, who was the last approver.

This Approach may not be bullet proof but it works for me.

PS:

Some of my naming may be wrong, because my SharePoint language was set to german.