Invalid Text Value error from SQL Control

• 22 January 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I have a SQL control that is setup as a check box (multiple-selection).  The possible selections are quite lengthy and quickly fill up the 255 character limit.  When you do attempt to save a form, you receive  the Invalid Text Value error.  The form does not save and actually causes the form to crash.  Since the SQL control is limited to the single line of text, I was wondering if any one had an idea or two on how I could capture that data and drop it into a multiple line of text sharepoint column. Thanks

2 replies

Badge +7

Hello Brian,

I would suggest you do something like this:

SELECT SUBSTRING(name, 1, 200) AS MultiLine_var,
FROM databases.table 
WHERE database_id < 5;  

and save MultiLine_var into the single line text and as soon as the form has been saved rerun this as a query in your workflow and write to a multiline text.

You can also use a few SQL requests on your form and for each of them write parts of the text and then concatenate into a multiline text...I know its not pretty :-)

Let me know if this makes sense

kind regards,

Francois Crous

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

I'm so sorry, I must have missed the notification that you had responded.  Maybe the transition to the new web site did something.  Who knows.  Any way, I'm not sure if the first option will work as it will not be able to save the data into a Single line text.  There are just too many characters.  Where would I use your Select statement?  Is that in a separate sql control?