Workflow with multiple events with different actions

• 14 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Im trying to build a workflow that performs a certain set of actions if the list Item is updated and another set of actions if a list item is created on the same list. I can select multiple events for the workflow to fire..but how do i set the condition at the start of the workflow that determines what event occured? I am trying to avoid building two seperate workflows here, is there a way to do this in 1 workflow?

2 replies

Badge +8

I'm going to take a shot here...This is not my strength, for sure.

I think what I would try is to have a data field in my workflow (numeric) and have the form pass in the value of say 1 if it's a new item created and 2 if it's an updated item when the workflow starts.  From there, I'd just set line rules to go one direction if the the passed in value = 1 (new item) and a different direction if the value = 2 (updated item).  

Would that work?  If it doesn't, I probably don't quite understand your question.  :)  

Thanks Robert!

I think you have understood my function, and your solution would work i think.. however i was hoping for some kind of inbuilt  functionality / action  that could tell if the item is new or existing.