Execute Activity at a specific date

Badge +8

is it possible to execute an activity at a specific date and time? Or can I execute an activity for exemple every day at 12 o'clock? I think it is possible by using a start rule but I don't know how to configure this.

thx,Jochen

2 replies

Badge +4

Hello Jochen,

From my understanding there is no UI for a start rule but only the possibility to write custom code. Maybe an activity with an escalation (this can be scheduled and repeating) and a line rule (if needed) could be a solution.

Regards,

DD

Badge +9

Yes, the Activity Start Rule is what is used to force an activity to begin at a specific point in the future.

To access the Start Rule, right click on an Activity and select Properties.  Then click the Start Rule icon which is the 3rd from the top in the tab strip on the left.

Every activity has a Start Rule.  By default it is set to "Start immediately", thus as this option implies, the activity will begin executing as soon as it is hit.  If instead you select the "Start" option you then have the ability to configure a time span (Days/Hours/Minutes/Seconds) in the future to start.  Alternatively, you can give it a specific Datetime to begin.

In terms of forcing an activity to continuallly execute every dat at 12:00, it can be done with a combination of a process data field, Start Rule, server event and line rule.  First you'll create a process data field to store the next fire datetime.  The Start Rule will then be set to use this process data field.  You'll need to create a server event in the activity to calculate the next fire date and store it back in this process data field.  Activities have no built in concept of automatically repeating so themselves you you'll need to draw a line from this activity that loops back on to itself so the activity cycle can begin again.

HTH.