Dynamic content in dropdown in nintex forms

• 3 August 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +3

I have two lists, ListA and ListB.

In ListA I created a form with Nintex Forms. I want to add a dynamic Dropdown in the form, the Content of the Dropdown should be created while ListA gets filled. So if the user selects a specific value in ListA it should give me all Elements from ListB that have this specific value.

This works with the lookup-function, but only for one value. If I have several Elements in ListB that have the specific value it only Shows the first value.

Any Suggestion?

8 replies

Badge +11

I guess you are looking for cascading drop down. Have a look at this: Cascading drop downs and Nintex Forms for SharePoint 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

lookup() function is able to return (array of) multiple values.

see example eg. here https://community.nintex.com/message/51212-re-cascading-lookup-validation-control?commentID=51212#comment-51212 

Badge +3

Hello Kapil,

I am not looking for cascading dropdowns, I am looking for a way to dynamically fill the dropdowns with content from another list. The source-list has a lot of values and regarding prefilled formular the dropdown should show the filtered entries of the list.

Badge +3

Hello Marian,

in my form I entered a calculated column and it does show the entries that I need. Now I need these entries as values in a dropdown. But in the options for the dropdown I cannot enter the lookup()-function. How can this be solved.

Not to mention that this all should be rendered while the User is entering information in the form. For instance:

User opens form, enters value in first field (this can be another dropdown or radiobutton), then second field, then third and after this he will open the dropdown which should show elements from ListB, which is filtered by the first three fields.

I can handle the filtering myself but I don't know how to show the values in the dropdown.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

that's right lookup() function can not be used with dropdowns.

I just replied to your statement that lookup() function returns just single value.

you can not populate lookup dropdown values on your own, you can just filter out existing set of values.

you can filter lookup dropdown either by source view or by other control's value or by a 'static' value.

with source view you can build quite complex condition, however you have to define them beforehand and in runtime just switch among them.

on the other hand filter by control/value can dynamically follow other controls/values on the form, but you can define just single filtering condition/expression.

looks like for your case you need to filter by other control's value. if there is single condition/control you need to filter on you can easily configure the filter.

however, if there are several of them you have to filter step by step by each one. that approach is usually referred to as 'cascaded lookups' , therefore ‌ recomended it.

originally you mentioned you need to filter just by a single value from listA. now you describe that it should depend on several other user's inputs....

it would help if you provided some example of your real use case to understand what exactly you need.

based on that we might guide you how to set it up.

Badge +3

Here is what I am trying to do:

I have the mentioned list with the 4 Dropdowns. And in the form I do have a Yes/No-field. Yes means that this element is a parent element. No means that this element is a child. If the user deactivates it to "No" a new Dropdown will be shown. This dropdown should list all the elements that are created as "parent" in the list and have the same values in the dropdowns as the current element has. That means the current list has to be filtered by the dropdowns and the value "yes" (is it parent?). But it could also be that only 3 of the 4 dropdowns are filled.

So there are two ways to deal with it from my current point of view:

implement a way to filter directly in the form all the dropdowns and the yes/no-field (don't know how to do that)
    I added an additional column to the list that concatenates all the values in the dropdowns. So in this column I have a value like "ValueDD1ValueDD2ValueDD3ValueDD4" or "ValueDD1ValueDD2ValueDD3". This value I could compare to a value that I am creating while editing the current item. But I don't know how to write all the values into one variable.

BTW: If this sounds familiar Marian it is the same problem I have in this thread: https://community.nintex.com/thread/17160-concatenate-dropdowns-to-textfield

Badge +3

Here is the other way that I tried:  

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

if you really need to filter by 3 or 4 values/dropdowns, and especially if these are not dependent one on the other, then only reasonable way how to do that is by concatenating single values.

hopefully my reply in the other thread will get you on track.