Advice Please - Creating a Task List that is Updated

• 17 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

I have a requirement to automate a task list we have within SharePoint. Currently, I have a simple task last which are assigned to individuals. It includes a 'Task Status' column with 'Assigned', 'In-Progress' and 'Completed' options.

I want to set up the workflow so assignees receive an email once it is created and then with two links one which updates the 'Task Status' to 'In- Progress' and another link to 'Completed'.

Sometimes the users will fully complete the task straight away and mark it as 'Completed' and other times they will mark it as 'In-Progress' and then 'Completed'.

I'm trying to do the workflow so it means that the users get an email with their task and two links. One to 'Complete' the task and one to mark it as 'In-Progress'.

This bit seems fairly straightforward and there are multiple ways to do this, however I don't want it that if they mark it as 'In-Progress' for them to get another email to now mark it as Completed. Ideally I'd like the two options in the same email.

Is there anyway to do this? I.e they get one email with two links which takes them to different parts of the workflow etc.

I appreciate I can just ask the assignees to edit them item, but the requester has asked to make it as simple as possible for them but just including links.

Thanks in advanced!

Harry

2 replies

Badge +4

It sounds like you might use 'Set a condition' (in Logic & Flow).  If you do, you can determine if In Progress was selected and take one path vs Completed take another path.  If you do this, you can put the notification only in the appropriate place.  I have often found that Set a condition is very useful for status changes that are similar, but have different needs such as notification or not or a differently worded notification.

Badge +4

Thanks Carolyn,

I did consider this as an option, but the send notification within the Flexi task can't be 'moved' and once a response has been given, that workflow actions is closed.

I've had a look at a couple of options and I think them having a second email will be the only way to proceed.