Nintex - Airwatch Per-App VPN

• 21 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Hi All, 

We have run into an issue and wondering if anyone else has come across something similar. 

We have a custom app built in app studio connected to our on prem SharePoint Farm. We use Airwatch (or Workspace one as its now known) for MDM and set up a per app VPN on this app to post back the forms when submitted. Once the App is installed the VPN opens and allows the user to login but then we encounter the problem. The next time the user opens the app the VPN does not come up. 

It should activate when the app opens which will allow the Nintex app to post the outbox forms back to our sharepoint but it doesnt appear to even try to bring the VPN up and just states no network connection. All other apps (non nintex) work perfectly. I can even open another app to bring up the VPN and as it stays up until it timesout i can then open the Nintex custom app and it will work as the tunnel is already established. Just seems like the Nintex app is not even trying to connect when the VPN is down. Is this related to the Smart-Connect Feature? 

Any ideas are appreciated.....

7 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

How are you enforcing your VPN policy? are you resigning/wrapping the app using the Airwatch SDK and injecting the policy then, or are you doing it at device level?

Also, I suggest to double check and make sure you use the correct app bundle id in the policy.

Cheers,

Vahid

Badge +1

Hi Vahid, 

We deploy a VPN policy to all our devices via the MDM this is set up with all our safari domains as well as the VMWare Tunnel address. This seems to work flawlessly on most apps. We then deploy the custom app and during the assignment to a device we enable App Tunneling and then select the same Per-App VPN Profile. 

The bundle ID is fine. 

Hi Ian

You still have that problem?
We have exactly the same problem with Sophos's MDM (with pulse secure).
The VPN tunnel no longer opens automatically. Until recently this was still working.
Best regards from Switzerland

Martin

Hi Martin,

Are you still facing this issue using the latest version of the Nintex mobile app?

Is this issue for iOS or Android app from the Store or AppStudio?

Have you got a workaround for it?

Regards,
Matt

Hi Ian,

Are you still facing this issue using the latest version of the Nintex mobile app?

Is this issue for iOS or Android from AppStudio?

Have you got a workaround for it?

Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt

Unfortunately we do not have the latest version of Nintex yet. We will update this in november.
It is an IOS problem in connection with the App Studio.
With the App from the store the VPN connection works perfectly.

Unfortunately we have no workaround yet.

Regards,

Martin

I dare to assume that this is an error in the code of your application, which prevents the VPN from working stably.