standiamond
Canvas Initiate

Nintex 2016 Responsive Forms - Design inheritance problems

I am using Nintex for SharePoint 2016 in order to create a set of forms all based on a 'master form' that carries standard look and feel and a number of common controls.  I want to use the inheritance features so that a single site content type can be used multiple times to create child  list content types.  I expected that subsequent changes to the site content type would be inherited by all of the list content types which are children of the  parent site content type.  This is not working properly.  There are two main symptoms:

1. The inheritance breaks, i.e. the list content types do not inherit changes to the parent.
  2. The site content type disappears from its group, so that it ceases to be available to create new child list content types.

There are clearly huge benefits from the inheritance feature which Nintex describes on its website, so I do not want to give up on it and have to use exported and imported form designs as the means of creating the many list content types.

Please can someone with experience shed some light on this problem.

Regards,

Stan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SimonMuntz
Nintex Employee
Nintex Employee

Re: Nintex 2016 Responsive Forms - Design inheritance problems

Hi,

If you create a site content type and then edit it with Nintex forms any list in the site or subsite you add the content type to will show the form for that content type.

If you edit the form at the content type level the form will change on every list where the content type is used.
If you edit the form from the list it will not update the parent, this is expected behavior.

If the content type is dissappearing this is a Microsoft issue.
0 Kudos
standiamond
Canvas Initiate

Re: Nintex 2016 Responsive Forms - Design inheritance problems

Hi Simon,

Thanks for our response.  I think I understand a bit more (by trial and error) relating to the disappearance of the site content type from the drop down list for creating a new list content type.  I  have been trying to create more than one list content type in a single list using the one site content type.  This does not seem to be possible.  I am able to to use that site content type to create a list content type in a second list.  So unless I am misunderstanding this, I can only use a particular site content type once only in a list to create a list content type. 

The requirement is to use a single list with many variants of the content type, using one Nintex workflow to manage the progress of the forms.  It does therefore look like I will actually have to use export/import to create all the list content type variants. 

Stan

0 Kudos