Randomly, workflow will not initiate on item create?

Badge +8

I've got a workflow set to run on item create that updates a couple fields(title and other simple things) and then based off a selection on the form, should start a different workflow. Almost every time this works without issue. Sometimes, seemingly random, NO workflow starts when the item is created. It's not that it starts and fails. It just never started. Looking under the workflows area for the item, there is nothing under Running or Completed.

I highly doubt it's an issue with the workflow as it works almost ever time without issue. Has anyone had something similar happen?

5 replies

Badge +11

I have a similar problem with conditional workflows with one of our customers. In the ULS Logs i found some "Error processing item added event" messages. This is happening like 1 out of 10 times.

I have to admit i have not found a solution yet. Nintex support recommended to delete and re-create the event receivers on the list but it did not fix the problem for me. However, it may work for you.

Easiest way to delete the event receivers is using SharePoint Manager. Just start the tool, navigate to your list and open the "Event Receivers" node. There you should be able to delete the event receivers by right clicking them and choose delete.

Event Receivers will be re-created by simply republishing the workflows.

SharePoint Manager needs to be run directly on the SharePoint Server. If you do not have access ask your admin for help.

Best Regards

Philipp

Badge +3

I would check the user that is calling the workflow maybe don't they have rights or something.  I know in the past I would have problems with users running workflows and not having rights and would fail or not even try.

Badge +8

In this particular case, the user was trying to attach a document with an illegal character in the filename. This has happened with other users in the past, but I haven't been able to troubleshoot with them as the issue was not reported for a long period of time. 

The problem here is, the item would still be added to the list, the attachment would be dropped, and none of the workflows would even attempt to start. It's as if the item was stuck in some weird limbo.

I don't know if this a bug with Nintex or SharePoint at this point.

Badge +3

I would think that it has something to do with sharepoint.  I have had the problem where I could add an item to the list but if their is an illegal character in one of the items columns when you go to open the item nothing comes up but a blank page with a header. 

If you remove the character and then try to open the item again it works and everything comes back up.  Their is no errors that popup too.  Just something I have seen in the past.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

this is quite a known issue.

there's a set of characters that sharepoint doesn't  like and which are documented here - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/905231/information-about-the-characters-that-you-cannot-use-in-site-names,-fo 

additionally, there's a set of characters that nintex doesn't like, which I have nowhere seen documented.

there are some workarounds how to avoid sensitive characters in attachment names, see one of them here - How to avoid file attachments with "special characters" in file name?