Need to capture User Info when values are changed

• 23 September 2022
  • 1 reply

I am using SharePoint 2013. While I feel like I am an advanced SharePoint end user, I am fairly new to Nintex forms and workflows. I am not sure how to explain what I need to do but I’ll try….Here is my issue: I have a form where multiple offices are required to update the column for their office. I have alerts and versioning already set up so I know who made a change and what the change was. However, now management wants to know when and who updated each columns. There are 15 offices in my organization so I set up 15 drop-down columns (one for each office). I also added a comment box for each drop-down column (one for each office) and set it to append. I told everyone to make sure to enter something into the comments box (e.g. name) so it would automatically do a time stamp and leave the current users information when the form is submitted. However, people being people, I can’t get everyone to comply with my instructions. What I would like to do is set up some sort of trigger for each of the 15 drop-downs that would kick off a workflow to capture the current user and the current date and then update another column with that information. Sounds easy enough, but I can’t figure out how to get it to work. I was hoping that there was some sort of an “on change” function but can’t find anything like that. I would like to set up a condition where If the value for a column is changed, from null to anything else, to update another column with the Current User and Current Date. I would have to do this for each of the 15 drop-downs. I’m no coder so I’d rather not have to write a bunch of code. Thanks!

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi

I think I understand the use case but have the following questions

1. How does the initial record get inserted into the list?
    If this can be done on a form, you can start a workflow and assign a task out with a form where they      update the values thereby knowing who and when the update happened.

2. Do you know who (individual/group) from each company that needs to update the value?
    You would need to know this to determine who the task gets assigned to

3. Do you have access to NWC or just O365?
    In NWC there is a "wait for update feature" but this would not be required if you are using the task          approach of updating the values stored in SharePoint. If this is SharePoint online you might also run      into a limitation of the size of the data per record (i.e. if they are simple hardcoded drop downs you        would be ok, but you are limited to 12 lookup fields in SPO)