How To Limit Class Size

Badge +6

My Training Form

Limit Each Class to 25WorkFlow

Hi All,

This is our training form and workflow. 

Users sign up for a training class using this form.  They select the desired class and dates from the drop down list and save the form.  We would like to set a limit of 25 on each class and automatically email the facilitator when the class has reached the 25 class size limit.  From there, the facilitator may decide to allow additional students or deny additional students and state that the class is full.

Do you have a solution that would help us to limit the class size of each training?

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I created an event solution that had a similar requirement.  We used a wait-list process rather than an approval process, but very similar setup.  The way I built it is that I had the classes in one list and registration in another.  I had a field on the class list called "Max Participants" where I would specify the maximum number of participants allowed for a class.  This allowed each class to have it's own number.  I also had a status column for the class that would indicate if the class were Open or Full.  I would display this value on the Form so that when a participant selected the class, it would let them know if the class were full or not right on the form so they could decide if they wanted to be put on the wait-list or not.

When someone registered for a class, the registration workflow would do a query on the registration list and count how many people were already registered for the class.  I also had a status on each registration because we allowed people to cancel as well.  So we only counted the registrations that weren't cancelled.  I would store the results in a collection.  I would then count the number of registrations and compare it to the Max Participants value for that class.  If it was less than the max, you register them.  If it was equal to the max, then it would start the wait-list process.  In your case it would be an approval process.  

Badge +6

This is very helpful!

Are you able to provide step by step instructions on how to make this happen?

If I create a separate list how do I link it where it collects the desired data?

Are you suggesting that I add additional fields to my form?

May I see the form you are referring to?

I am also very interested in how I can allow participants to cancel the class without me manually tracking this info--can you provide more instructions on this as well?

I would also like to add the feature where users can tell if the class were full or not right on the form.

I am fairly new to Nintex and pictures along with your instructions are very helpful.

Thanks so much for responding.
Collection List

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Unfortunately the solution I built was at a former company and don't have access to it anymore so I don't have any screen shots I can provide.  But I can answer your questions. happy.png

1. The registration list included a Class field that is a lookup to the Class list.  That is how they are linked. 
  2. No, you don't have to add any additional fields to your form.  I was simply explaining the value of the class "status" column and how you could use it if you wanted.  If you wanted to display on the form if a class was full, then you could add this status field to do that. I also displayed data about the class on the form when they selected it, such as a description, and the instructor. 
  3. I created a page that displayed to a user all of their registrations.  Click on a registration would open the form backup.  I had the form designed where if it wasn't a new registration, then it would display a "Cancel" button.  If the user clicked "Cancel", I had a rule on the button that would update the registration status to "Cancel".  I was using InfoPath at the time.  If you're using NintexForms I assume there would be a similar functionality.  The change in status would also kick off a cancellation process that would notify the user and the instructor of the cancellation, and update the status of the class to "Open" if it was previously "Full".

If you still need visuals I can try and mock something up, but wouldn't be until later in the week. 

Badge +6

Thanks!  a mock visual would be very helpful.

Also, do you think adding a validation column would help?

I am trying to come up with a solution that would be simple to implement.

Does Nintex offer the service where I could work with a designer to help create all the features we desire?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I’m not sure what you mean by a validation column. Where would you be adding it? What would be its purpose?

Simple is a matter of perspective. Are you wanting something that is simple to build, or simple to use? My goal is to make the solution simple for the users. Often that means it’s not simple for me to build.

I’m not aware that Nintex offers any one-on-one consultant features, but you’d need to contact them. But this community has a lot of information and experts. I’d be surprised if you couldn’t find what you’re looking for.

As far as the visualizations go, could you let me know which parts of my explanation you’re having trouble with? Honestly the best way to learn is through trial and error. My recommendation would be to try some of the suggestions, and then if you get stuck at a specific part, ask the community. Actually, search first because there is a good chance someone has asked the question before.

Badge +6

You are correct I have learned a lot through trial and error.

However, I am at a point now Im not sure what to ask until I stumble on someone like you who made a suggestion that happens to be the exact features that I need.

I would like more specific instruction on how to add the cancel feature you discussed and the feature that counts how many people are in each class and lets the user know in REAL TIME.

Can you help with these 3 features:

1. The cancel feature that automatically updates when a user cancels

2. Creating The “Max Participants” Field

3. Creating the “Wait List Feature”

Inger Spikner

IT Business Unit Liaison

Direct: 901-537-7347

Fax: 901-537-8594

<http://inside-helena.helena.local/>

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

For the cancel feature, it’s pretty simple. Are you able to add a button to your form that has a rule to update a field value when it’s clicked?

Badge +6

My Training Form

Ok,

This is my training form----are you suggesting i add a CANCEL button on THIS FORM??

OR should i add it to my Training Class Library that gives a description of each class----where they go to click to pull up the form and I also have instructions on who to email in order to cancel the class.  I feel it would be better used on the Class Library as I have written in below.  Is this what you mean?

Training Class List

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Your screen shot looks like a web page to me, not a form.  When I say "form", I'm referring to either an InfoPath or Nintex Form.  Like the initial screen shot with the smiley face.  They way I built my solution, the user could view all of their individual registrations (think items in a list).  When they clicked on one, it would open up the same form they used to register, except that all the fields are read only, and there is a button that says "Cancel My Registration".  If they clicked that button, then it would change the value in the Status field on their registration list item from "Approved" to "Cancelled".  This would in turn trigger a Nintex Workflow that was built on the list and designed to start when the Status field was changed to "Cancelled".  

Badge +6

Your form sounds like the exact solution that I need. It would really be nice to see it or a mock version of it.  Im afraid a lot is getting lost in the translation.  I am about to leave for the day and will continue working on it tomorrow.

I will look for your mock form later in the week.

Thanks for your help.

Badge

Quantity of students attending a school divide by the number of teachers, for example, a student to teacher ratio of 20: 1 means there are 20 students for every teacher. This term can also be reversed to create a teacher-student relationship. The number of students in the educational premises of educational institutions must meet the requirements of sanitary legislation and may not violate the rights of students (teachers) to appropriate, safe and healthy learning conditions (work).

Duane S. Steward, writer and editor based in domyhomework4me