How to add ADAM as data source

• 12 February 2005
  • 7 replies

Badge +1
Hi,
I am new to K2 and facing 2 problems

1. I have created an instance of ADAM to hold application specific users / roles. I have created the following partion for ADAM
"OU=Users,OU=Brokers,OU=XYZ,OU=US,DC=ABC,DC=net"

I have added the following to the K2Server.Config file.
<DataSources>
<DataSource Path="LDAP://DC=ABC,DC=com" NetBiosName="ABC" Type="ActiveDirectory" />
<DataSource Path="LDAP://OU=Users,OU=Brokers,OU=XYZ,OU=US,DC=ABC,DC=net" NetBiosName="XYZ" Type="ActiveDirectory" />
</DataSources>

I restarted K2.net Studio but I am not getting the instance data in the destination rule window. I am administrator for the machine as well as the ADAM instance...

2. Is there any way I can specify a different username and password to access Active Directory structure in the Destination Rules Window

Can anyone please help...

Thanks in advance

Regards
Prasad

7 replies

Badge +2
K2.net 2003 ships with support for Active Directory only. The user manager architecture is open and you can unplug the AD user manager and replace it with another. You can download the SQL Server user manager from the SourceCode Customer and Partner Portal, or you can create your own user manager. The SQL Server user manager is supplied with its source code, so that you can alter it if you wish to.

The attachment includes a user manager for ADAM. Please note that it does not support the ability to retrieve a user's subordinates as you can with AD.

Just like the SQL Server UM, this ADAM user manager is not supported by SourceCode.
Badge +1
thanx juan... it worked....
Badge +1
Has there been an update on this post? Are you going to add the ability to send to a persons manager in the ADAM UM?

Cordially,
Fady El-Rukby
Badge +8
Has there been an update on this post? Are you going to add the ability to send to a persons manager in the ADAM UM

Fady El-Rukby, please send me an email with your requirements (neil 'at' k2workflow 'dot' com, or use the button below.)

We have an updated user manager component for K2.net 2003 SP2a to use ADAM as its user data source. This updated user manager includes the 'send to manager' and 'view subordinates' worklists' functionality.

Kind regards,
Neil
Badge +1
Neil,

Just wanted to verify if you did receive my email. I did send it to you from my work email (fady@adgas.com).

I did specify our requirements in the email, and that we are a customer of SourceCode. I would appreciate receiving the lated ADAM UM ASAP as it would make a big difference.

Cordially,
Fady El-Rukby
Badge
I'm using the AdamUM supplied in this thread, but I find the only way I can connect to the server is by using Windows Authenication. This means that the entry in the _ServerUser table must be [Domain][User] in order to connect, not only that but it means that each user of K2 must have a domain account. Is there a way I can supply a connect string so that to connect the K2 server it authenticates against ADAM.
Badge +8
I'm using the AdamUM supplied in this thread, but I find the only way I can connect to the server is by using Windows Authenication

The current implementation of the ADAM User Manager relies on NTLM authentication, that is why the user accounts must exist within AD. This ADAM user manager was originally designed so that companies could create an ADAM Instance where K2-specific org structures, OU's, properties and groups could be created without affecting or needing access to the domain itself.

In short, this means that you would have to synchronize AD and ADAM so that AD user accounts also exist in ADAM where they can then be grouped according to the business' requirements. Microsoft provides tools to achieve this - refer to http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/367bc9b2-5cb7-4f4b-81a7-bdcc54dcd4531033.mspx for more information.

The K2.net ADAM User manager component is a work in progress. If you have a specific requirement to extend the functionality of this component, I would recommend contacting your K2.net representative.

Kind regards,
Neil