vigoriton
Design Dabbler

Multi-select List Lookup Control - connect to a Multiple Lines of Text variable?

Jump to solution

I am creating a site workflow with a Nintex start form. On this form, I have a List Lookup control with display format of "Check boxes (Multiple-Selection)". However for the "ID connected to" and "Text connected to" settings, it will only let me choose a Single Line of Text variable to connect to. This all works ok, except that there are many choices in the Source list and if too many choices are selected, the data in the variables specified in the "ID connected to" and "Text connected to" settings is truncated at 255 characters. I was thinking that the "ID connected to" variable would just have the IDs of the selected choices but it contains the ID and the Title of each choice. The "Text connected to" variable has a comma separated list of the Titles of the selections, BTW. I really need to have this connected to a Multiple Lines of Text variable so that the choices can then be processed by the workflow. Does anyone know of a way to do this or perhaps some sort of workaround? Thanks for any help you can provide

0 Kudos
8 Replies
emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Multi-select List Lookup Control - connect to a Multiple Lines of Text variable?

Jump to solution

that's not supported by design, see documnetation

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Forms/RootCategory/Controls/Nintex.Forms.Controls.Loo...

i.jpg

why couldn't you store it in regular lookup list field? that could be processed within the workflow either.

0 Kudos
vigoriton
Design Dabbler

Re: Multi-select List Lookup Control - connect to a Multiple Lines of Text variable?

Jump to solution

Thank you but I am not sure I follow. The only controls that I see that could fit what I want to do is the List Lookup control and the Choice control. However the Choice control doesn't let me get the choices from a SharePoint list that I can tell. Can you elaborate?

0 Kudos
emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

ops, I'm sorry, I haven't realized you're talking about site workflow.

my suggestion would work for list workflow.

with site workflow you're unfortunatelly out of luck. you have to find a way how to manage it with single line text variable.

there is an idea on uservoice that already request that functionality, you can vote for it

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/229406-2-nintex-forms-for-sharepoint/suggestions/37155676-list-l...

0 Kudos
vigoriton
Design Dabbler

Jump to solution

Haven't tried this yet but it seems like it should be promising: Modify the Start button settings so that  when the Start button on the form is clicked, it calls a JavaScript function. The JavaScript function gets all the selected items in the List Lookup control and pushes them into a Multiple Lines of Text control that is connected to a Multiple Lines of Text variable. Then the workflow can process the Multiple Lines of Text variable as needed. Our policy is to avoid doing "custom" coding for our SharePoint solutions but I don't really see another way.

0 Kudos
emha
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

you may try ...

but if I recall correctly once I wanted to do something similar in the past but I falied. simply, any change made from submit button's click function was not accepted. it looked like there was made a snapshot of form content at the moment submit button was hit and these data were sent to sharepoint, if validation passed. it dindn't accepted any further changes.

I as well tried with 'fake' submit button, which first did my logic and then simulated regular submit button click, but, if I recall correctly, with this scenario I got into troubles with validations. so I gave up to do anything like this.

but as I wrote, you may try. maybe something has changed since my attempts.

let us know how you succeeded.

0 Kudos
vigoriton
Design Dabbler

Jump to solution

I tried it and it works! It only took one line of JavaScript to copy the selections from the List Lookup control (the JavaScript variable for the List Lookup control actually points to a hidden textbox that has all the selections appended together) to the Multiple Lines of Text control (which is connected to a Multiple Lines of Text variable). Then inside the workflow, I can parse out the Multiple Lines of Text variable into a collection and process from there. Note that you can only specify a JavaScript variable for the Multiple Lines of Text control if it is visible so I just put a rule on it to hide it. I left the Start button as Save and Submit so it still also does validation. Note that the JavaScript function specified on the Start button is called BEFORE the validation occurs, though.

View solution in original post

Vinod
Canvas Initiate

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have a work around for Connecting a Multi-Select list to a Multi lines Text column.

Step 1 - Create a Single Line Text column and connect the Multi-Select list to the
single line text field. Save and exit the form.

Step 2 - Then go into your list settings and change that Single line text column to Multilines of text.

Have tested this on few forms and works just fine.

0 Kudos
Mal
Nintex Observer

Jump to solution
Hi, can you please help with the JavaScript code you used? I have similar issue and not familiar with JavaScript.
0 Kudos