Moving List Item into Folder on Same List

• 31 August 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +8

Hello Community,

I have a list that I'm creating forms off of. My client wants the ability to when a form is created to have it moved/put into a project folder of the same ID. So user fills out form, item is created, workflow starts, during workflow it moves the item into the correct folder it should be in on the list it was created in. I know its able to be done with document libraries just haven't seen anything on the list side.

Any thoughts or ideas would be helpful on this subject.

Thanks,

Kevin

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Kevin Kittinger​ -

Without some heavy lifting, this is not straightforward. Lists with folders are generally a nightmare as moving items around in the folders is difficult (in my experience).

I would highly recommend creating different views for each category (or folder) and approach it that way. This keeps everything still in one list and limits what users see (if they are switching views).

If permissions are an issue, or visibility of items, you can always try changing the Read and Create/Edit access users have on the list itself. I would create user groups based on roles and apply it to the list as it would be the easiest approach in my eyes.

Hope this helps!

You can move file to a folder by  update item component by updating Name value with foldername/filename. This works for moving files from root folder to sub folder. But i could not find out the way to move from subfolder to root.

Badge +2

The question is about a list, not a document library. Nintext workflow won't let you change name.

Hello

Same scenario I am facing and I am implemented it but when I am adding document in library view then in nintex workflow variable it is not showing folder name in item url so could you please explain me how can i do it?