SharePoint Online - Start Workflow Action - Start 2010 WF?

• 27 August 2014
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I am working on a SharePoint Online project and need to send emails to external addresses. SharePoint 2013 WF will not allow you to email someone @yahoo.com etc... My research indicates that this was intentional for security purposes...(ok?!?!)

So in order to accomplish this my idea was to do the email using a SharePoint 2010 workflow in designer (which does not have this limitation) and then call it from Nintex workflow using the start workflow action.

When I run the action, it returns the following message and fails.

'List workflow' named 'Activation Portal Email' does not exist.

I assume that Nintex workflow cannot see workflows outside of it's framework and that's why it's not working. I have a workaround in mind, but it's ugly (I'll trigger the email workflow based on a toggle in the list using the change event) and it means running a workflow every time the item is modified which is annoying and messy.

I'd like to confirm that Nintex cannot see purely designer based workflows in SharePoint Online. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Could you use web services to call a SharePoint Designer workflow?

There is an article to use a Nintex Web Service that calls workflows in other sites. It should be able to also call SharePoint Designer workflows,

Start a Workflow using a Web Service

Badge +1

This would work like a champ in SharePoint On Premise, however I am on SharePoint Online.

The only webservice calls available are http webservices. I have noted that the "Call webservice" feature we have all come to know and love has been requested for SharePoint Online in Nintex's feature request portal, and Nintex appears to be reviewing it for inclusion in a future release.

So, I am back to square one, not in a corner mind you, just not a desirable approach.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ah, online. I have started workflows using CSOM code, but i'm sure that is not a help.

Badge +1

Hi Brian,

I can confirm the 'start workflow' activity only starts the '2013 style' workflows.

James