Nintex \Request Vote\" action"

• 28 September 2015
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Has anyone built a custom Nintex 2010 workflow action that can get a "vote" response (yes or no) from ALL "approvers", without canceling pending tasks?  I have a process that requires ALL "approvers" to have their say on a matter.  As it stands, no matter which Nintex 2010 action I use (Flexi-Task, Request Approval, Request Review, Request Data), there are limitations that make this impossible.  I want this "Request Vote" action to a) send to all "approvers" simultaneously, b) collect task responses until ALL have been completed (do NOT cancel pending tasks).  It needs to have all the usual reminder and escalation logic in there as well.

The closest I've been able to get to this with OOTB actions is "Request Review", which goes out simultaneously (requirement a) and collects all responses (b), BUT there's no way I can see to collect what each "vote" was.  Yes, you can have the approver enter a vote in the review comments, but then you'd have to parse it out for who knows what different variations of yes/no/Yes/No/ etc.  So what we NEED is a custom action built on "Request Review" that actually pulls a vote/answer from the approvers and waits for ALL of them to come back.  From there, the workflow can figure out what it needs to do, based on counting the votes.

Has anyone built an action like this for Nintex 2010 Workflow?

3 replies

Badge +1

Larry,

Did you ever figure this out?  I'm trying to do the same thing and have gone down the "Request Review" path and it is more of a band aid than what I'm really looking to accomplish.

Badge +1

Hi Aaron, sorry I missed your note before.  Yes -- it turns out that the "Assign To-Do Task" is the one action that does NOT automatically stop the workflow when "outcome" is reached.  You can assign tasks all day long and "collect" responses, decide for yourself if enough "votes" have been supplied.  That's what we used, based on a tip from Vadim Tabakman the Nintex Ninja.

Badge +2

Hi Larry,

did you find a good soulution for your request?

We did this with a flexi task and for each action. Put all approvers in a collection and run the for each action with a flexi task for all members of your collection. You can store the outcome also in a collection for later use. The only problem we have is, that this way takes a long time. If one member is on vacation for 3 weeks, no other can approve in this time. Maybe someone else can improve this.

Cheers

Daniel